Quote Originally Posted by HH View Post
Also where are they measuring the oil temperature? I would expect the max temp for an oil would be specific to that oil, and how long it could sustain that temperature. I am measuring it before it goes into the cooler, as I figure that is worst case, aside from measuring right at the piston. I should install another temp sensor after the cooler.
We use some big Deutz inline 6 cylinders at work (where I got the idea to look at them for reference) and I looked through the engine owners manual and it says 125C at the oil pan.

I looked on the engine and it has temp probe that appears to be right before the oil cooler. And wired to a warning light and murphy switch not sure when it cuts off at but assume 125C.

The 6.5 pumps from oil pan to filter then to cooler. I figure thats pretty standard route and if you measure right before cooler thats about the same as the oil pan temp.

When Kubota comes to my work to heat test an engine they use a thermocouple that looks like the dipstick. They just measure the dipstick lenght and adjust a grommet to get the same and measure average oil pan oil temperature reading.