Thread: 94 Suburban Cold Start

Default 94 Suburban Cold Start

When I go to start my 6.5 TD Burb in the morning, it starts right up with very low idle and belches black smoke. When depressing throttle I get very little response. I need to keep feathering the throttle to keep it running for the fear of it dying. After a few minutes, I floor the pedal and the motor literally snaps to life. The motor runs decent after that with no smoke. I do however have an SES light that illuminates on and off. I have not pulled codes since I don't have a code reader. I have recently replaced the Glow Plugs, Glow Controller, Injectors, Lift Pump, Oil Pressure switch, Coolant Switch, PMD and IP. Now that doesn't mean that I could have a bogus part though. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug
    Doug

1994 6.5TD 2500 4X4 Suburban, Banks Exhaust, K&N Filter, 200K +

94 doesn't need a code reader. Paper clip or jumper wire in the upper right corner under the steering column, OBD1 connector. Turn ignition on and count the blinks of the dash lights.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

So I now have the codes. There were 2 as follows:

DTC 25 - Accelerator Pedal Position 2 Circuit High
    DTC 45 - EGR Vent Error

Is the DTC 25 the throttle position switch at the pedal?

Is the DTC 45 the can that is in close proximity to the Turbo and above the valve cover? It looks like a breather. I have not been able to locate anything that resembles an EGR Valve yet.

What parts do I need to replace? Can anyone clarify the codes for me?

I am on a road trip with the Burb right now. Of course it decides to throw trouble codes while away from home. But 1200 miles so far and it's still running but tough to start in the morning. I hope I can fix before I go too much further.

Thanks a bunch!

Doug
    Doug

I don't understand the DTC 45 code. My truck has an "F" in the VIN so I believe that my truck doesn't have an EGR valve. So then why is this code appearing? Any help out there?

Thanks,
    Doug
    Doug

WAG:

the EGR vent performance is monitored by the Baro sensor. Maybe you have a problem with the Baro sensor.

The Baro sensor and the APP sensor both run off the 5V supply. Maybe there's a problem with the 5V supply...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Thanks John. Where can I find the Baro Sensor, How do I test the Sensor itself?
    Doug
    Doug

On the firewall above the brake master. Try unplugging it?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Thanks for the reply John. I found a small "box" up and inboard of the master cylinder with a plug that fits from the bottom side. Does it sound like I found it? Should I unplug it while running or not? If I unplug what should happen?

Thanks for the help.
    Doug
    Doug

I would replace the pedel switch first. I've been told that the codes come as they occur, so meaning the pedel switch might also cause the computer to THINK the baro sensor is bad.

It wont be a bad idea anyways since the pedel switch's been doing 200K

Matt
    I used that name because its my username on all my other forums...

1994 Chevy Sub Diesel K2500

Kick Ass Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I came up with the same conclusion except when I priced out a new switch. $299.00 (ouch!) from SSDiesel Supply which is a far cry less than the dealer wants. I hate to experiment with such a high $$ part unless I know for sure.

Anyone out there with a loner to test with (LOL)

If I thought it would solve the problem,

"When I go to start my 6.5 TD Burb in the morning, it starts right up with very low idle and belches black smoke. When depressing throttle I get very little response. I need to keep feathering the throttle to keep it running for the fear of it dying. After a few minutes, I floor the pedal and the motor literally snaps to life. The motor runs decent after that with no smoke"

I would go ahead with the purchase.

But in my mind, I cannot reason that the pedal position sensor would fix the problem as stated. Keep in mind that the above scenario only exists for the very first start in the morning only. It's fine otherwise except for the on and off SES light.
    Doug

I haven't heard anyone mention the ground on the passanger side causing wacky throttle pedal codes, clean that first.
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.