Thread: glow plug issue???

Question glow plug issue???

1984 blazer 6.2l j code.....I drove it where it was sitting and now it wont start....I took some glow plugs out and i have no "glow". I changed the glow plug selenoid because it was acting goofy. What are the odds of all the glow plugs going out at once? I DO have a push button ignite on it, and i have heard that if you "ignite" them to long i could burn them out like nothing. Could this have been the case? or what else plays in part with igniting these?
    thanks much
    kyle

Arrow

It depends on which plugs you have, and how long is too long. If you've ever used ether (starting fluid), it can cause plugs to fail. If all your plugs failed at the same time, something happened to all of them, at the same time. They will not fail, under normal conditions, all at once. Replace all 8 with AC60G plugs and give it a go. If your GP power is 24V, about 5-6 seconds is enough to heat them. About 10-15 seconds for 12V. If they are not getting hot enough, it is better to heat them in cycles of the same glow time, with about 5 seconds between cycles.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com