Thread: Oil filter base deformation oil loss

Default Oil filter base deformation oil loss

Any one noted this problem? If so what filter was involved? What ambient Temp?
    Saw an article by M & S Technical Services Inc. that states Duramax oil filters can fail due to excessive pressure spikes of up to 275PSI cold start high RPM operation. The filter flexes under high pressure blows the seal out and in no time engine oil is lost. I have not had this happen nor have my customers. I know VW has had this problem on some of their engines for several years. I use Delco/GM, Wix and Fleetguard filters for diesels. M & S notes that GM/Delco/Delphi,
    Wix, Fleetguard, and Baldwin produce filters with more robust base plates to combat this base plate deformation problem and loss of oil. Just curious and @ same time if any one is useing a lesser filter in this cold weather may want to consider a change. Filter seal blows @ 60mph, 10 quarts of oil is about 10 seconds. bob..........
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch

Bob,
    I don't have any personal experience with this problem but IIRC Baldwin had a problem early on with the B1441 and it was redesigned to handle the higher oil pressure seen on the LB7.. As you pointed out it's probably not a problem with a good filter i.e. AC, WIX, Baldwin, Fleetguard, Donaldson, etc ..
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD