Thread: D-Max Express Keeping it up to temp???

Question D-Max Express Keeping it up to temp???

Hi Folks, haven't posted in quite a while but I am hoping someone has a solution to this issue. Last summer we (me) convienced our P/D to purchase a diesel van for a prisinor transport unit. A few weeks back it came into the shop complaint was it will not get warm inside. Chevrolet according to our local dealer has no winter front for the van so we had one custom made it seemed to work until last night the cops brought it back again no heat. It has the second heater for the prisinor area so it's pulling a lot of heat off of the motor. this thing idles a lot and thats when its cooling off.
    Can I have our tech's pull the grill assembly and 3/4 cardboard the radator only or we asking to create an overheating problem when it gets back to 25 of 30 deg???
    Hit me with any ideas you can come up with.

Thanks.....BV
    98 Burb K-2500 6.5TD Kennedy boost controller,FSD Cooler Kennedy Kandels(Night is like day!) Boost & Pyro Free Floin Kitty No Muff, Broke motor Sold Burb Bought PSD (yea i miss the burb) Hello From THE DARK SIDE

Wink

Got It:
    DIC on dash scroll through menu select high idle feature.
    Drove it warmed it up left idle for 2 hrs checked it was high idleing and inside was warm!!!
    98 Burb K-2500 6.5TD Kennedy boost controller,FSD Cooler Kennedy Kandels(Night is like day!) Boost & Pyro Free Floin Kitty No Muff, Broke motor Sold Burb Bought PSD (yea i miss the burb) Hello From THE DARK SIDE

my last van, although a 2004 ford e350 with a 6.0 powerstroke diesel had no problems getting warm inside even without a rear heater.....the front would warm up within just a few minutes of starting the van.

sounds like somethings not right with your PD van. perhaps flow ? t stat not working right ?

thats alot of idle time for it to warm up
    '12 gmc sierra 2500 dmax slt carbon black.
    '12 s350 diesel mb
    '10 mazda 6i, for sale
    '77 450sl benz, in family since new, sold, still in jersey thou
    '91 350sdl benz, 3.5l diesel, 28 mpg
    '90 560sel benz

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Voitel View Post
    Can I have our tech's pull the grill assembly and 3/4 cardboard the radator only or we asking to create an overheating problem when it gets back to 25 of 30 deg???
    Hit me with any ideas you can come up with.

Thanks.....BV
    Glad you found the solution with high idle. I would not recommend the cardboard trick...as you are also effecting flow for the intercooler, trans cooler, etc.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Wink

The boys in blue are still not happy, anything below 10 deg and it cools down to much for them. Had it back to dealer again they say all is OK. Our in house svs mgr is going to have a tech remove the top radiator cover and close off about half of the rad without covering the CAC or any other coolers that may be there...

on my 2500hd i use a cabellas grill cover, with the small flaps, and if I need it I stick the foam noodels(like the kids use in the pool) in the lower grill openings. I'm able to maintain engine and tranny temps, and have great heat