Seems every winter for about the last three or four winters I have this problem then the weather gets warmer and the problem goes away and I forget about it till next winter. It's the dreaded smoking and chugging when starting cold. I have noticed something different this year though that may shed some light on the problem if I only knew how to read it but I don't know that much about the 6.5. I have changed the injector pump the injectors glow plugs and glow plug controller all within the last 2500 miles. The reason was to try and get rid of the excessive smoke and chugging at cold start. This year I tried starting without depressing the accelerator prior to starting. It actually starts better this way but as soon as you depress the accelerator it actually runs rougher for a little while then clears out. I feel sure it is a sensor or something but I don't know which or where it is. The truck runs great after you get it going and even if you plug it in and let it heat it starts perfect. But it use to start the same way cold. The truck is a 1992 2500 6.5 with 131,000. Serviced regularly, motor seems to be in great shape. I have owned the truck since '96 and it had 80,000 on it when I bought it. Sure would appreciate some help to get rid of this smoke. Also if it makes any difference it doesn't use oil so the smoke is not oil smoke.
Thanks in advance for any help. Eddie