Thread: LBZ issues

Default LBZ issues

I thought I had this one figured out but maybe not.
    My '06 LBZ was left unplugged when I went on a recent trip away from AK. This I did on purpose but what I did forget was to disable the auto-start system. The auto-start has a feature that if the block gets to -20F, the truck will start and warm the engine up a bit (~30 of run time). I came back two days ago to a small mound of ice under the exhaust outlet and an indication on the dash of an empty fuel tank (DIC and gauge) plus the truck cranks, no start.
    I headed into town, got 5 gals of fuel and re-primed the pump. Problem is, none of my symptoms changed. Do I need to add more than 5 gals?
    Does this sound like it could be some other issue?
    I'm in BFE AK with no scan tool (ordering a Diablo Predator today) and the "local" GMC dealer is over 100 miles away.
    Any suggestions before I call for a tow?

Thanks
    '06 GMC 2500HD EC/LB LBZ 4x4
    '70 GMC C2500 Sierra Grande LB 402cid gasser/TH400

Your 5 gallons should do it if you could bleed fuel to the filter. Pump the hand primer up hard and continue to do so while cranking if possible. Of course plugging in, warming up, charging batteries etc will help. Cranking speed is critical.

As a last resort, there is always ether, but that stuff is hard on pistons, etc. If you use it DO NOT spray while engine is not spinning. Get it spinning and waft it ever so gently closer to the intake so it gets just a light sniff.

Again, heat, prime crank is best way. I never recommend ether except for emergency.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

if you use ether,, plese disable the glow plugs or serious engine and bodliy harm may occur. I have seen serious damage done to these engines during the use of starting fluid/ether.

Using the method I described and waiting for the WTS light to go out should be safe, but there's always the intake heater etc. Spraying an engine that is not spinning is a recipe for problems.

I will add that YOU the vehicle owner should be the one spraying and don't give it much at all. I wouldn't tryust anyones judgement as you could get a big snort and it can jump the rpm's up through the roof and your engine will be done just that quickly.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default Good news!!

All's well.
    I put an additional 5 gals. in this AM and the fuel gauge came up some. Tried the priming over again and 10 minutes later we're back in business.
    No ether needed either.

Thanks for all the help.

Hi,

Years ago, I had occasional starting problems with my old 6.2 Jimmy Blazer. Inept fuel filter changing usually was the reason.

Rather than use ether, I thought that spraying diesel into the intake with a spray bottle would be the trick. Worked pretty well, for what that's worth.....
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Quote Originally Posted by GVWR View Post
    I thought I had this one figured out but maybe not.
    My '06 LBZ was left unplugged when I went on a recent trip away from AK. This I did on purpose but what I did forget was to disable the auto-start system. The auto-start has a feature that if the block gets to -20F, the truck will start and warm the engine up a bit (~30 of run time). I came back two days ago to a small mound of ice under the exhaust outlet and an indication on the dash of an empty fuel tank (DIC and gauge) plus the truck cranks, no start.
    I headed into town, got 5 gals of fuel and re-primed the pump. Problem is, none of my symptoms changed. Do I need to add more than 5 gals?
    Does this sound like it could be some other issue?
    I'm in BFE AK with no scan tool (ordering a Diablo Predator today) and the "local" GMC dealer is over 100 miles away.
    Any suggestions before I call for a tow?

Thanks
    Being from a cold climate, I fail to see the value of this 'feature'? How does it improve on simple block heaters / timers?

My first thoughts:
    • I don't want my truck starting in -20 weather, unless I need the truck. Simply more wear and tear, under the worst of conditions.
    • I also don't want a running truck when I am not around. What if CO kills the dog that decides to take refuge in the garage? My kid sleeping upstairs?
    Hmmm...sorry for the strong reaction but I think this product sounds potentially dangerous. Obviously it can be left activated accidentally, and the truck will start when nobody expects it to.

Be careful!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I think the idea is that if you don't have the availability to plug in the block heater and you going to be away for several hours in very cold weather it keeps you truck from getting stone cold.
    Very useful in some situations.

It's not intended to replace a block heater or be a long term unattended solution.

Default AutoStart

Rabbler is correct.

Mark,
    I don't know how cold "being from a cold climate" means to you, but here in interior AK, that feature can be a life saver if there are no plug-ins. It is an absolute dire emergency feature that I forgot to disable in my extended absence.
    It also was never intended to be utilized inside a garage or otherwise. Besides, if your block got to -20F in your garage, you're going to have a lot more pressing issues to deal with.

Thanks again for all the advice. It sure saved me a big(ger) hassle.

Glenn

Oh yeah, I did order the Predator too.

Understood. Hopefully there is some measure of safety built into the product. A CO monitor would be cool...in the erroneous garage scenario it would shut down.

I am testing the latest Predator tune right now hauling boats cross-country. Check in the Performance forum for results in a week or so...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K