Thread: 4.5L Duramax For 2010- New Pictures?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Disappointed to see that - especially as I consider that moving ahead with the program could place them as a market leader in light-duty trucks when they need anything they can get to convince people to put faith in them.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

I agree... GM (and Ford & Dodge) sat on their hands for the past 9 years, even though they had a light-duty diesel in the pipeline. None of them was willing to take the lead and actually introduce one (GM was waiting for Ford to take the lead). In doing so, they all passed up a tremendous opportunity to expand their brand and sell a lot of diesel powered vehicles.

Never say never, but I do not believe GM/Ford/Dodge will ever expand their diesel offerings here in the U.S. I say this because of the current political climate, gas/diesel cost difference, diesel engine option cost premium and the improvement in gasoline technology - primarily direct-injected gas engines and other fuel efficiency technologies that improve gas fuel mileage.

It does expand an opportunity for the Suburban/Duramax conversion market. They're currently selling for about $80K, which begins with a used 2500-series gas powered Suburban.

DMAX is down to a single shift 6-days a week, but they are optimistic for the future. No doubt....

Jim

I haven't seen anything lately on the Toyota Tundra diesel. Last I saw was a late 2009 introduction. That could prompt GM and Ford to get off their duffs, but then once again they'll be playing catchup and follow the leader instead of being the leader...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Hi,

I was talking today to the owner of my dealership (Bob Jass Chevrolet in Elburn, IL -- fine outfit). It was his view that GM is shelving the small diesel due to the emissions issues that they see coming down the road.

FWIW.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

I agree with Jim 100% on this. As I am very, very disappointed to hear of this news, I am not surprised.

I believe the future of diesels in US consumer vehicles are continually going to fade away. There are simply too many strikes against the diesels in the U.S. for the market to survive. Such as premium $$ for hardware to meet emissions (DPT, urea, controllers, sensors, etc etc), decreased mpg, higher cost per gallon at pump, increased maintenance costs, politics, EPA, GM financial status, etc etc). Especially when you stand back and look at the engineering gains that have been made in the gasoline powered engines such as: direct injections, HP gains, MPG gains from partial cylinder cut-out, cheaper fuel, etc etc.

I have been a faithful diesel owner since I began driving. Especially partial to GM, but I forecast the 4.5L cancellation is just the beginning of the end for diesel powered consumer vehicles in the US. Keep in mind that the U.S. emission standard "Bin 5/Tier2" is 6 times tougher to meet that Europe’s "Euro 5." Therefore, I forecast the Europe diesel engine market will remain on target, while we fade away here.

Quoting Bob Lutz, GM VP of Global Development "At best, the diesel engine of the future will be tremendously expensive, lower MPG and unsure with emissions can be met for California and Northern States."

Just my $.02
    ** ccole **
    Past Rides: 1978 Chevy 5.7 Dsl; 1982 C-20 6.2L Dsl; 1984 Chevy 6.2 Dsl; 1986 Suburban 6.2L Dsl; 1989 K2500 6.2L Dsl; 1994 F250 7.3L; (2) 1997 F250 7.3L; 2004 Duramax; 2005 Duramax; 2006 Duramax; 2007 Duramax; 1995 6.5 Non-Turbo; 1994 6.5 Turbo; 2001 F350 7.3L, 2005 GMC Duramax (Current)

todays local paper

03/11/09 10:00 AM
    GM delays V-8 diesel production at Tonawanda engine plant

By Matt Glynn
    News Business Reporter

General Motors Corp. has made announcements about two products at its Town of Tonawanda engine plant.
    The automaker has placed an "indefinite hold" its plan to add a Duramax 4.5-liter V-8 diesel engine in 2010 to its Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra light-duty trucks. It was to be made at the River Road site. The start of the new engine's production had already been delayed this year.
    The plant will regain production of a 3.7-liter, Inline 5-cylinder engine that had been transferred from Tonawanda to a plant in Flint, Mich., in 2007. Production of the I-5 is set to resume at the Tonawanda plant this summer.

Much of the ULSD produced in NA meets a less than 10% PPM standard. As a result it can readily be sold in Europe. The production of diesel is increasing while gas production is falling. For the first time in several years diesel prices are below gas in several NA markets. The fall off in offshore demand is a partial factor for this decline. For those interested in a good summary here is a link:

http://www.energytribune.com/articles.cfm?aid=1347
    2008 2500HD Ext. 4X4
    265/75R16
    Reese Signature 18k slider
    Montana 38.4 ft 5th wheel