Thread: Metal Particles In Transfer Case Oil

Default Metal Particles In Transfer Case Oil

I have 2500HD that I bought new in June 2007. I learned here about changing out the differential oil, transmission oil and transfer case oil early in the vehicle's life. Thanks very much that info.

I did my first transfer case oil change on Sept. 2007 at 4500 miles. When I drained the oil I noticed lots of metal particles. The metal particles were mostly very fine with just a few small flakes. Although I had not seen this type of thing before, I didn't think it was a big deal since gear boxes are often repoted to have metal particles, shavings, and flakes on the first oil change.

Now I just did this again at 10720 miles. There was just as much fine metal particles as in the first oil change. Now I am somewhat concerned. In the direct sunlight the oil has lots of sparkles. When swirled, the oil looks sort of like that pearl shampoo stuff. The oil is not burnt or black. It just has more than the usual amount of very small shiney metal particles.

I am wondering if this is an indication that the transfer case is headed towards failure. Has anyone else seen this situation?

There are no bearing noises or other indications that something is wrong with the transfer case.

I sure would appreciate some expert opinions and experience.

thanks...

Default Normal

Metallic "glitter" is normal in the transfer case fluid. It's a chain and sproket system and produces small metal flakes. I've always seen metallic glitter in my transfer case in multiple changes over 150,000 miles now. Of course, I do have a pump rub-through that occurred at 124,000 miles patched with JB Weld waiting to be serviced with a new pump housing.
    Tom Ashley 2004 6.0 2500HD/Silverado CC/SB/4x4

Do you use 4WD alot? Sounds like more than normal...but normal is based on how much time it spends, engaged...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K