Thread: Transfer Case Yoke Leak

Default Transfer Case Yoke Leak

So, after sitting in the driveway for a year and a half, I got my Dad's 95' 6.5 going. Turns out, he had the wrong flywheel inspection cover. We had a 95 Jimmy in the driveway at the same time the TC in the 6.5 went out. Both tranny's were pulled, and the wrong cover went with the Jimmy when it was sold. So my Dad tried to reinstall the cover, and couldn't get it to bolt up snug without it grinding.

I had an extra cover, bolted it up, checked over a few things, got it running nicely.

Except, at the forward yoke on the transfer case, a leak has started. A rather fast leak.

So now I am trying to decide whether to yank the t-case.

The transfer shifter feels really loose, it slides back and forth fairly easily and it doesn't feel like it's really locking in place. I can move the truck in 2wd, but it grinds a bit going into 4X. (More than normal.)

Can I replace the output seal without yanking out the t-case? Or should I just pull and rebuild it?
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

The seal can be removed easily and replaced.

The shifting issue may be a problem and may not.

Shifting these from 2 hi to 4 hi should see no noise at all.
    Now going from the hi side down through the neutral gate into the low side must be done quickly as the tranny will start to spin up (even in neutral) and when you hit the low side it may grind.

Even a new one can do this.

Now if the lever is real sloppy you may want to have a look at the shift linkage and make sure its in good order.

If the linkage is ok then there certainly could be issues inside the box.

Keep us posted.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY