Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Duramax Cooling System Pressurized

Default 2001 Duramax Cooling System Pressurized

I have a 2001 Duramax that has a pressurized coolant system. Pressure will force coolant out overflow of surge bottle. Have had to shop 6 times. Coolant analysis says coolant has no contamination. Mechanic at shop verified coolant as non-contaminated. Glow plug test, on cold engine, shows no misting. Truck has never overheated even in summer pulling 10,000 lb travel trailer. Having trouble with heater/defroster. Truck runs great most of time, no smoke, vapor,loss of power, leaks, etc.
    Shop mechanic ruled out head gasket after tests and test drives. The best option offered for repair was injector sleeves, which have been done, ($1900) and both thermostats have been replaced ($330). Problem still exists. I think the shop may still say head gaskets are the issue. That repair will be $2400 if GM pays half or $4800 if GM will not as truck is out of warranty. Has anyone solved this problem?

yep, headgaskets.

yep. Sold the truck. (The buyer was aware, and repaired it himself...)

The colder the operating weather, the more you'll see the pressurizing happen. When both thermostats close simultaneously and the engine is hot and at working RPMs, you really puke coolant...

2001s are the most likely to develop head gasket problems. There was an improvement to the gasket design in subsequent years.

Local shop and GM are proposing a complete teardown. They are saying cracked block or headgaskets. My problem with the coolant system goes back to 11/05 (45K miles) and has just recently become an almost daily issue. Two shop have previously replaced the coolant and evacuated the trapped air in the system. The truck now has 74K miles. I would like GM to help me out a little with repair expense but I am out of warranty.

If you first complained about it while it was in warranty, and it was never fixed, they should cover it.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Hmmm... sounds familiar!

Take a look at:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=27906

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=28136

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=29305

Dealer first blamed the injector sleeves, then it ended up being the head gasket, after they swore they thoroughly tested it the first time, and it was "definitely not the head gaskets". Both jobs ended up costing me about $4800 total and I lost use of the truck for 11 weeks while they waited for parts.

They did the same head gasket tests; glow plug removal & mist check, coolant contamination (which never showed anything), dye testing, leakdown testing... All appeared normal or negative.

Oh yeah, don't expect GM to pay a dime if you're out of warranty. I asked too...

Scott
    Last edited by SDWA; 02-09-2009 at 17:00.
    2002 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab/DA/LB in... Pewter!

Sounds like the coolant system pressurization is a pretty common problem on early model years. To bad GM shops don't have a clue about how to help their customers. My trouble started after a coolant change was done at a GM shop at 59K miles. Coolant only pukes when starting up on cold mornings. I added a Banks package, at 70K miles. I know GM doesn't really like it but it has been the only method to see what is actually happening with the coolant temps. I have watched the coolant temp drop from 160 degrees down to 70 degrees after turning on the heater/defroster. The analog gauge on dash can't follow it at all. This was how I knew for sure the system was airlocked and would soon puke out coolant. Local shop is in process of complete teardown and say they are totally puzzled by truck's symptoms. I now have 75K miles on the truck.

actually,, a lot of us do know how to take care of customers,, just seems like your unlucky enough to have found a shop that doesn't give a damn. I find ways to get **** covered all the time.

I will post the outcome of my mess when I get to the end. My biggest fear is that I will have problems, after the rebuild, that never existed before. Many times, in an attempt to fix one thing, other things mysteriously break. Some call it coincidence, but I think it is most often cause and effect.

I signed a repair estimate for $3,000 on Feb. 5, 2009. I was told the repair job would take 4 days. The teardown turned up a bad head gasket. The teardown continued and the heads were sent to Las Vegas for testing, according to shop this was ordered by GM. The heads were in Vegas for 8 days and have just been returned. Now the shop says they don't have a gasket kit to do the rebuild. I still don't understand why these bad head gaskets cannot be detected? How hard is it to find the needed gaskets?

I am somewhat hopeful I will get the truck back sometime next week. How 4 days turned into 3 weeks I don't understand. There seems to be a million excuses why the repair isn't getting done. Rental car and a place to stay is very expensive when you are on the road with an R.V. I will post the final outcome if I ever get there.

I know SoCal diesel and All Seasons (tony burkheads shop) has/did have the gasket kits in stock. Right now the gaskets are on national backorder.

The gaskets I ordered just came in on Friday(2 weeks).When I first ordered them they told me "in stock in Woodstock you'll have them in the next morning".I said perfect.......They called later that day to tell me they were an old part number and couldn't sell them.So I guess(hope)these are the new and improved one's.So I'm thinking anyone out there that has any head gasket problem's and the GM dealer say's "never heard of it"or"your the first/only one" you know their full of it.

Sorry to hear of your issues. Based on your information, the gaskets should have been covered under warranty. I understand your options might have been limited, if on the road and away from your local dealership.

After this is over, you might appeal to GM for reimbursement for all or part of your (repair) expenses.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Does anyone have the part number for the new/improved head gaskets for my 2001 Duramax? After all the pains and expense of being stranded 1000 miles from home, for over a month, I want to verify I indeed get the new gaskets. Is there a Technical Service Bulletin out on this problem that the dealers should have access to? Thanks to evryone for the help!

98045055 RH Grade A,98045056 RH Grade B,98045057 RH Grade C.
    98045058 LH Grade A,98045059 LH Grade B,98045060 LH Grade C.
    Hope this helps

Thanks for the part numbers. I will try to verify these against a repair order. Is a grade "A" superior to a grade "B" or "C", or how is that letter designation significant?

The dealership that has my truck torn down just called. The head gaskets are back-ordered, as a previous message writer indicated. The dealership said they had a set secured and were charged for them, but they had already sold, before they were shipped. Other dealer contacts seems to have the same result, "we had the gaskets but we have used them or sold them". No delivery time known at this point. I guess I am one, among many, having this rediculous problem. This time the shop verified that the part numbers for these head gaskets are new numbers. Hopefully, a much better gasket!

Certainly there is a set, sitting on the shelf in the aftermarket performance shops. They build engines every day!

Here is an example of the first site I found, after Googling "2001 Duramax Head Gaskets"...

http://www.hdiesel.com/product.asp?id=132

Wouldn't be the first time I walked into a GM dealer with parts in hand. In fact, I have source every set of injector lines for three LB7 sets replaced...GM wants over $1000 retail, some guy on Ebay regularly sells new takeoff sets for under $200...

Question - are you doing injector replacement, since the heads are off? Injector lines? Glowplugs?

Now is the time...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I am into this project for $5-$6,000 now with no known result. I know you are correct about doing this additional work while the engine is torn down. I just don't know how to estimate that much more work. To this point the GM shop has not suggested doing other replacements. There has to be a point of no return on investment for a 2001 Duramax. I have only 75K miles and the truck is in excellent condition inside and out. It is a great tow machine. I am retired and hoped this truck would last 20+ years as my previous GMC trucks have (all gassers). I have done thermostats and injector sleeves as part of this repair. How much more would you think I might be charged for the work you are suggesting, keeping in mind this is a GM shop, and our relationship is strained severly now? Might I be close in cost, to spending around $10,000, or so, for a new engine with a new warrantee? Your ideas, PLEASE!

Wow Mark I checked out the site you posted.I feel violated by GM after checking out the prices on there.Thanks for the link I will be looking into buying some parts from them.