Thread: EGR help

Default EGR help

I have an 2007 Classic d-max with 23,000 miles. Check engine light came on and dealer said code P0403 and P046c indicated in ECM. Dealer reprogramed ECM and did a EGR motor cleaning per bullitin DOC-2176732. A few days later the check engine light came on again and back to the dealer I went. This time dealer said the Banks exhaust and Airaid filter were the cause of ECM codes (which were the same codes as before) and basically they could not fix it becuase of the after market parts. Dealer went on to say that mechanic would need to call tech support and when told about the after market parts, GM would put my VIN on the "black list" and my 100,000 power train warranty would be void. Anyone have any suggestions.

Call Gale Banks and Airaid. Tell whomever you talk to the same story as you related above.

I suspect they'll be a big help, and will tell you that GM cannot void your powertrain warranty following the installation of an air intake and exhaust system.

In the meantime, I'd probably carefully clean the MAF sensor using an oil-free spray solvent, like carb or brake cleaner.

Jim

Auto Zone has an MAF cleaner in a spray can like carb cleaner. I think its made by CRC.
    2006 GMC Crew Cab 4x4 LBZ, Magnaflow 4" exhaust, Bullydog triple dog usually on performance.
    I am Not a Hillbilly. I'm an Ozark American

There is a pretty good chance that your EGR valve is bad. The EGR systems on the LBZ engines have been pretty "buggy hence programming updates, valves replaced, etc. The problem is, many dealers have trouble diagnosing etc.

If you can get the dealer to replace the valve, that's great. Otherwise turning off the issues in the tuning does wonders
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default P0403

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    There is a pretty good chance that your EGR valve is bad. The EGR systems on the LBZ engines have been pretty "buggy hence programming updates, valves replaced, etc. The problem is, many dealers have trouble diagnosing etc.

If you can get the dealer to replace the valve, that's great. Otherwise turning off the issues in the tuning does wonders
    How do you turn it off

Yep if the reflash and cleaning did not fix it,,, chances are you need a valve. If they won't fix it, block it off and have "turn that system off" with EFI Live.

I agree with MADMAT on the defective valve. I have had a few fail that way myself. Valve replacement will probably fix the issue. Find another dealer that has a good diesel tech if you aren't satisfied with your current one.
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

Quote Originally Posted by XFACTOR7 View Post
    How do you turn it off
    On my site click on Kennedy Custom and you will find the details. This is for off road use only of course.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!