Thread: Smoking problems

Default Smoking problems

This is my first post on this forum as I am a new member to the forum. Please excuse my ignorance should I have missed anything.

My 2001 6.6L duramax engine is smoking. I recently had a P0089 code and the dealer told me that I needed a new "Fuel Pressure Regulator". The cost would be Can$1500.00. I found the part for a little over $200.00 and did the job myself. I took the truck back to the dealer so they could check the injectors. They tell me that all are within specs. However I notice that when I leave the truck idle that I am getting smoke from the exhaust. The truck now has 160,000Kms or 100,000 miles. As it is smoking how long before I can expect to have major problems. I travel to Mexico every winter and do not want to have the truck let me down while I am away from home?
    Any comments would be appreciated

Based on the symptoms you've identified, the mileage, and year of your truck - it sure sounds like classic injector issues on the horizon.

You might try another dealership, have them check the return rates using a scan tool.

Dig around here - lots of info on this repair. If you are handy, you can do the repair yourself, but not for a novice wrench.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Thanks Mark
    Had the dealer do a return test today and # 7 & 8 are -4.8mm. Not good!
    However they tell me that this does not indicate a catastrophic failure but rather like some junk stopping the needle from seating.
    They have done a chemical type cleaning and have also put some kind of additive in the tank. We will see what happens in the next little while!!!

Default Smoking problem

Hey Mark
    I have had all 8 injectors replaced on my truck. I eventually had the dealership do a proper test of the injectors. #7 & 8 were both saying -4.8 on the scan tool that they use. We tried doing a chemical clean but that did not work.

I checked around for injectors but could not get below CAN$295 each. I was thinking about doing this myself, then one day I thought that I would give GM customer service a call. After some arguing with them they eventually said that they would review my case and get back to me in 3 or 4 days.

They called me back saying that they had decided to pay for 1/3 of the cost.
    I immediately contacted the dealer and was amazed to find that they were also picking up 1/3 of the cost. Now this means that they were picking up 1/3 of the cost of replacing 2 injectors only. I then decided to replace the other 6 as I can not afford to have the truck let me down when I am in Mexico. The GM dealer was about CAN$1500 more expensive than another diesel shop for the replacement of 8 injectors.

I am posting this to let you and others that may have a 2001 or 2002 Duramax know that if they have a low mileage - less than the 320,000 KM that GM increased the warranty to they do indeed have a chance of getting something out of GM if they go about things in the right way.