Thread: Irritated!!!

Default Irritated!!!

Just today noticed very light, white smoke while truck was idling. Truck was idling while I ran into the store and only saw it because I walked up behind it and there was a light wind blowing. I also noticed heavier black smoke during hard acceleration while unloaded. This truck has 118K on it, and had injectors at 65K. Of course an annual trip is coming up requiring me to pull my camper 3-4 hours across the state and back. I'm worried again about blowing up injectors and ruing a vacation and costing me huge $ and time to have them fixed at a tiny dealership in podunk Iowa.
    So, now what? I called large dealership here at home and they said $80 to have the injector balance rates checked, but the can't do it for 8-10 days. Really? I thought you hooked up the tech II and read it? Needless to say I'm frustrated and thinking about dumping it. I love the truck, I've done a lot to her, but reliability is the one thing that will get it dumped in a hurry.
    Sorry to rant, just hoping for some sound advice, and if it makes me feel better, that's ok too! Thanks everyone in advance.
    01' LB7 2500 HD ext.cab, auto, 4" magnaflow, airaid intake, Mag-Hytec tranny pan, all Amsoil, Bilsteins.

In pusuit of the perfect camper pulling rig....

05'-30' Pilgrim 5th wheel

Always on the road headin for a campsite!

Normalcy bias... Run it for a few more days in a variety of ways, looking for what you normally experience with this truck. What you saw could be a bad sign - but then again, it might not be. Too bad the dealer couldn't read the balance rates for you....

Jim

Balance rates are definitely the key to pin point your issue. In the mean time you might run a quart of 2 stroke oil through it to see if you have a stuck injector (sometimes the extra lubrication may unstick the injector). You might get lucky. But if your luck is like mine you will be replacing injectors or the truck.
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

Sorry to say, but it sounds about right in line with my Tech Tip on Dmax injector Failures:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du...20Failures.pdf

I need to expand this some day and add some pics, but there should be enough info to get the point across.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Thanks guys for all the responses. I just drove to Kansas City yesterday and averaged a hair under 19 driving 75 with the A/C on. Un-loaded. I was happy with that. Still getting white smoke at idle on occaison, usually when she's hot. So for now I'll drive her and deal with it when it happens.

Another question: If I put 50hp injectors in when I do relpace all 8, will this "take care" of the problem? I know JK, when I do the new injectors, I will be calling you to add in a lift pump and filter. And maybe some other stuff too!
    01' LB7 2500 HD ext.cab, auto, 4" magnaflow, airaid intake, Mag-Hytec tranny pan, all Amsoil, Bilsteins.

Arrow

"50 HP injectors" don't really exist, for the average/normal user. Fuel volume is fuel volume. A couple things will happen if you install them, when you shouldn't: Your fuel economy will drop, drastically; and you may have some driveability and comfort issues arise. They are also much more sensitive to other issues, and will usually exaggerate any other issue that may be present. As with any "high performance" fuel injector, they are designed/modified to accommodate operation outside the design of the rest of the system. Unless you intend to approach/pass the current capability of your fuel system and engine, with corresponding modifications everywhere else, they are absolutely unnecessary, and in most all cases, cause more problems than benefit they offer. While they may be better than problem injectors, they will not be better than an OEM spec injector, all else being equal. They won't be more durable or reliable than any other quality injector, and may be less so.

50 HP is so easily attained with any programming mod, and quite mild by the current standard. Add to that, if you live in an area that tests emissions, or may at any time in the future, HP injectors may not pass, even with the most modest requirements. They won't in CA (if the tech follows the rules), and the test is extremely easy on LB7's.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Mav, Thanks for the info. I see what you are saying. I really do not need the extra 50HP they promise with these injectors, I was just hoping that they were some sort of "fix" so I could stay away from these problems in the future.

I have decided to keep the old girl, do some minor body work, injectors, lift pump, added filtration, and some cosmetic stuff. Be alot cheaper than 35-45k for a new to me truck. She's only got 118k on her! So now the wife has approved some of my "super tow truck" build!

Thanks again everyone! Shed

Quote Originally Posted by Shed View Post
    Mav, Thanks for the info. I see what you are saying. I really do not need the extra 50HP they promise with these injectors, I was just hoping that they were some sort of "fix" so I could stay away from these problems in the future.

I have decided to keep the old girl, do some minor body work, injectors, lift pump, added filtration, and some cosmetic stuff. Be alot cheaper than 35-45k for a new to me truck. She's only got 118k on her! So now the wife has approved some of my "super tow truck" build!

Thanks again everyone! Shed
    There is no aftermarket "fix" only marketing hype. I ran a set of 20% over stock injectors in my 2002 for many years. They added approx 50 RWHP over stock with same tuning.

That said, performance injectors are for racing...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!