I received the following message earlier today from a member who was concerned about not finding any new trucks at his local GM dealership.

I was at our local Chevrolet dealer today; and commented to them that there was not one new Duramax equipped truck on the lot. The response I received was the plant is not building diesels at this time. They did not know why or when the production would start up again.
So, I contacted someone I know at DMAX about engine production, looking for any insight into current and future production. Here's what I received in reply:

Dealers may be correct about "building diesel trucks" - to a point. The DMAX plant has already shut down the connecting rod machining line to start the 2010i changeover. Final date is not set, but the rest of the plant will shut down in December for remaining 2010i model changes. The assembly line will stop also, so any trucks currently being produced would use the existing bank of engines already assembled. So, dealers may have been given a non-production window, and this may be what they are speaking about.
So, not to worry.... They're coming. The hole in current production is due to the changeover from current emissions certified engines to 2010 emissions certified engines, which become mandatory come January 1st.

Jim