Thread: So I had the injectors chang...

Default So I had the injectors chang...

So I had the injectors changed about a month ago...[I had a former post on problems I was having] and everything now seems to be OK; except, I can't believe the new oil from the dealer is still soot free! I'm not complaining, just surprised...
    I have always used AMSOIL [15w40] oil in the truck and all my other vehicles since new. I switched the truck to AMSOIL right after I bought it used with 4400 miles on it. Even the first oil change when I switched it over, I noticed how dark the oil was. Every oil change has been the same thing...put new oil in and spot check it a day later and its very black.
    Its been a month now since the deaer changed the injectors and the oil as well. I just checked the oil again today and it still has that golden yellow color. I intend on switching it back to AMSOIL before winter sets in but I hate to think it will go back to black; or will it?
    I wonder if the fuel leaking into the crank case gave it a good cleaning prior to injector replacement? Any suggestions?
    2001 GMC 2500HD CREW CAB 4X4 D/A Lucerix X-Mount, Fumoto Valve, 100% Amsoil,
    Leer High Rise Cap
    Discover America in a D/A!
    2003 Cougar 30' T/T SOLD!
    JD 2210
    1987 Corvette
    Member #4307

Arrow

There's a few ways to interpret oil color. The "fuel washing" may very well play a part, as you suspect. A good Diesel rated oil should suspend the "black" in the oil. If the oil is clear, where did the "black" go? I use mostly Amsoil and Mobil 1, but ocasionally use Rotella, and Delo (once), when synthetic wasn't available. They all darkened at about the same rate, in my experience.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

My guess is your internals got a good fuel/oil wash prior to new injectors, and you are now getting a good clean burn with 8 fresh sprays. Did they update your programming, by chance?

My 2002 had inky black oil until the injectors were changed, and ECM was upgraded to Kennedy's Tow/Haul tune. Since that time, the oil doesn't go opaque until about 4-5K miles, and never gets as sooted as it used to - or as black as the other LB7 and LBZ that I own.

Weird!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Not sure if they updated the programming. Siince I took it to [a second] dealer, it just so happend the mechanic lived nearby and took it to and from the dealership for me...they are mailing the receipt to me and I haven't received it yet...I put fresh oil in it for the 50 mile trip to the dealer...yes they did change the oil...had a different filter and I checked the oil before he took it and it was already black...I do think it got a good internal cleaning...I'm sure it will blacken as the soot is suspended but I didn't expect it to be so clean for so long...makes me wonder how long its been leaking or bad burning...last oil sample didn't show any signs...I did take an oil sample just prior to changing oil for trip to dealer for new injectors...
    Leer High Rise Cap
    JD 2210
    1987 Corvette
    Member #4307

My 02's oil stayed clean for 4-5k when she was new but now I'm lucky to see 1k before she starts to turn black. She's smoking at idle a lot now so I'm sure it's the reason why the oil isn't staying clean as long as she did before.

David
    Oneton
    2002 3500HD Pewter/lt grey interior Crew Cab 4x4 LT Durmax/Allison

I've noticed that a stock engine will run pretty clean for a few thou miles, but if a program or box is added that makes the truck smoke, the oil turns dark much sooner... So, the color of the oil has a lot to do with how clean the burn is.

Also, it's been my experience that synthetic oil provides a better ring seal, which tends to delay the darkening for 1-2K.

Jim

I just checked the oil and its still that golden color...maybe a little darker since I last posted. My truck is still 100% stock and (except for now) I'v always had AmsOil 100% synthetic oil in the pan...I plan on changing back to AmsOil in a couple thousand miles...
    Leer High Rise Cap
    JD 2210
    1987 Corvette
    Member #4307

Hi,
    just reading thru this thread and wondering if you noticed any change in your MPG after the injector change?
    Cheers,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post

...I put fresh oil in it for the 50 mile trip to the dealer...yes they did change the oil...had a different filter and I checked the oil before he took it and it was already black

year old thread, I know. But at least in part what you experienced was the cleaning affect of 2 rapid-fire oil changes. I've been doing that to my junky little Briggs engines for years, and at work I will occasionally do it to engines that only hold a couple gallons of oil. And on my personal cars/trucks I will pour about a quart thru the pan with the drain plug out to try to get the dirty stuff out of the pan. It does make a difference.

On equipped engines it will get the dirty oil out of oil coolers, etc. It will help the TBN on oil sampling too because TBN deterioration compounds if not restored to new oil TBN level.

What I want to know is why you had the injectors changed. Are they problem childs on these engines? I am perusing the forum searching for potential problems to beware of on my 02 Duramax 2500HD that I just put into service as a work truck......
    Last edited by oldtimr; 10-22-2009 at 10:48. Reason: sp
    Tim Smith

Update on the oil question discussion and question...(I know its been a year now but some changes keep me away from the computer more...Fuel mileage increased 1-3 mpg...Oil stays pretty clean still...
    Leer High Rise Cap
    JD 2210
    1987 Corvette
    Member #4307