Hello ,
having only driven jap pickups and landrovers i was pleasantly surprised to discover the power available in this old chevy.......
a recent purchase of a '95 chevy k2500 6.5td/auto trans, 134,000 mls prompted me to search out the experts and from what ive read so far you're well versed on this motor.....ive got a 4 book set of manuals on the way from the U.S.A to blighty, to help me out as well,cant wait.
have been thumbing through a Chilton manual to read up on some basics ..i'm expecting to be parting with some cash to get this thing to a good useable standard to pull my trailer..so here goes ..
blowby ......its got some...
injectors ..apparently have never been changed...
k+n airfilter fitted...woo hoo
turbo kicks out black smoke on/off/on/off when accelerating.....read its vacuum controlled, not what i'm used to ...can it perform better without the smoke? is there a fault present i'm not yet aware of...i'm not looking for a hotrod or i'd have bought a petrol(gasoline) engined truck ,just want it to run clean and healthy..
looking to change injectors asap and remove the cat section of exhaust.
auto trans seems rough/clunky changing through to drive from park when cold, and the shift light goes out every other position moving from park position.
havent had a chance to get a good look at it yet and its parked up doing nothing.
would like to think its fixable (maybe 'cept the blowby) any comments on basic improvements to this engine would be helpful...i'll be reading through the forum as i get chance and may come across these answers anyway....
lastly ...think yourselves lucky .....we currently pay £1.07 per litre for diesel...x4.5..thats £4.81 a gallon (imp gallon) divide by 0.82 converts that to £/U.S gallon ,x 1.62 current exchange rate, = $6.39 a gallon...(my math correct?)..hows that for ya? its expected to rise in the new year after the V.A.T, (tax) re-instatement back to 17.5% from the current 15%....you dont have it so bad.....yet ....is it time i emigrated ?