Thread: Fuel leak help

Default Fuel leak help

Hi everyone I'm pretty new to the site and was wondering if anyone could give me a hand fixing the fuel leak which is occuring around the fuel filter housing area. I'm fairly new to working on engines especially diesel's, but it's the only way. I've tried changing my fuel filter but it hasn't helped so now I want to remove the filter housing to investigate further. But... I can't figure out how to depressurize the system so I can replace the lines without getting diesel all over the place. Also when following instructions on removing water/ replacing filter, the fuel in the filter bowl would not receed so i just use the wife's turkey-baster. Could these things be related. any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

One thing that helps take the pressure off the system is to open the fuel tank cap.
    Bob
    Last edited by bobt; 01-03-2010 at 22:03. Reason: further explain
    2009 LTZ 3500 D/A ext-cab DRW
    1993 11' 3" Lance cabover camper

Don't worry about the pressure, but do open the filler cap. the water drain works when the engine (and lift pump) are running.

Common leaks are the hoses attached to the bottom of the filter housing and the o-ring for the fuel heater. Less common are actual leaks in the heater itself.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

You can drain the filter bowl and most of the system through the water drain line. A vacuum pump with catch-can (like a brake bleeder) works well. Install the pump/can to the water drain hose, open the water drain valve (mounted on the coolant crossover), draw a healthy vacuum (helps if the filler cap is on and vent defeated), loosen the outlet line (front) at the fuel lift pump. This should suck most of the fuel out of the system above the tank level (the top filter bleeder closed and cap still sealed). The remainder in the "upper" system fuel will drain back through the LP line (shouldn't be very much, at this point). You can empty the fuel return circuit (if you intend to open it) by applying low pressure shop air to the return line at the IP outlet (remove the filler cap for this one).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

After the engine is shut off for a few minutes there will be little pressure in they system.

The common leak area are the hose that runs from the lower side of the Fuel handler under the manifold and up to the T fitting (Drain)

The other hose is the fuel feed line to the top of the IP.

The other leak point is the fuel return line from the rear of the RH head area (Top inner by the intake rear bolts)

Now if you have fuel dripping into the valley from under the fuel manager these units can and do RUST out at the lower part of the fuel heater.

The heater is seperate from the manager and is held into the manager at the bottom and can be replaced easily

If the rig has a lot of miles on the clock, the heater may well have rotted through. This allows fuel to seep through and run out the opening where the wires enter the unit.

Check it out and keep us posted.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY