Thread: Busted Mirror: Upgrade Options

Default Busted Mirror: Upgrade Options

All,
    On the Tahoe I made a poor decision to park in a spot with a telephone pole planted between it and the next spot. Cost me my driver side mirror on backing out...
    The mirrors on my Tahoe are manual adjust.
    I've found lots of new (Chinese) mirrors on E-Bay, the entire assy for less than $40 US. I've also found apparently aftermarket clones that are the electric adjustables for -under $30 US-.
    First question: If I made the leap to electrically adjustable mirrors (I'd go ahead and purchase the electrically adjustable right mirror at the same time) at this point, how hard is the install on the switch. I would place the switch in un-used switch panels in the instrument panel between the A/C and the instrument cluster: I wouldn't mess with putting it in the door skin.
    I haven't priced a switch but I'm sure I could find one somewhere at a decent price.
    Second question: how hard in the install on the mirrors in general. It looks like the inside has a vinyl skin that has to come off to access the mirror attachment points.
    Basically, is it worth trying to move to electrically controlled mirrors now, I've honestly been fine with the manuals, just happened to price the electrically controlled ones -cheaper- than the manual one.
    All feedback appreciated.
    Mark Magee
    98 Burb 2500 LT 4x4 VIN G, 4:10's 180K miles, Amsoil Bypass/full flow filters, Turbo Master, Heath ECU Reflash, Duraterm GP's, New Injectors, Walbro FRC-13 LP, 480LE Rebuilt 2X, Vacuum Pump Delete, K&N Filter, Fluid Damper, DTech remote bumper mount PMD, Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Fan Clutch, Robertshaw 192F stats, 2.5" Crossover, CAT gutted, Fumoto Drain, Alcoa Centerline Wheels, Ride Rite Airbags.
    2013 Keyston Fuzion 301 Toyhauler 9,100#s empty
    Velocity XLFG N34XL
    Brady Texas Hill Country

Arrow

Manual mirrors have one moving part. Electrics have many, and add things that can go wrong (and usually do at some point). I wouldn't have much confidence in the "import" electricals, as far as durability and longevity goes. There are very good aftermarket replacements, but cost in the neighborhood of 5-10X what you are looking at. I have and like electrical adjusted mirrors (on the later vehicles), but survived decades just fine without them. The heat feature is very nice a few months of the year.

Replacement is very simple. Once the "shark fin" is removed (it pulls/pops out, held in with friction tabs), it's just removing nuts from there, and the mirrors pull out. The only snag in the operation is the weather seal and insulation. Be sure it's in place and in good shape or you could have water leakage and/or very annoying wind noise.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Sticking Manual

Thanks DMAX. I ordered an OEM manual mirror last night. I honestly have liked this Tahoe as stripped down as it is as being simple. HOWEVER, my wifes Burb is an LT and we haul 5 kids/their friends continuously; and all her LT gadgetry is still working great. On the other hand, my roll up windows still work great as well...
    Mark Magee
    98 Burb 2500 LT 4x4 VIN G, 4:10's 180K miles, Amsoil Bypass/full flow filters, Turbo Master, Heath ECU Reflash, Duraterm GP's, New Injectors, Walbro FRC-13 LP, 480LE Rebuilt 2X, Vacuum Pump Delete, K&N Filter, Fluid Damper, DTech remote bumper mount PMD, Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Fan Clutch, Robertshaw 192F stats, 2.5" Crossover, CAT gutted, Fumoto Drain, Alcoa Centerline Wheels, Ride Rite Airbags.
    2013 Keyston Fuzion 301 Toyhauler 9,100#s empty
    Velocity XLFG N34XL
    Brady Texas Hill Country