Thread: 500 miles from home and a new vibration

Default 500 miles from home and a new vibration

That set off the ABS light. feels like front wheel bearings (hubs). Internet shop search turned up a independant shop that seems knowledgable on this and also sounds reasonable on price. To top it all off he is willing to shove me into his schedule at a point that I can disapear from my display duties at the track.

This is an uneasy feeling to have a problem this far away from home but a bit intensifyed by the fact that I am pulling a loaded trailer on this trip.
    1999 K1500 Sub, Wont tow but what a family car
    1999 Dodge 3500 4x4 6sp Cummins, with the needed goodies
    2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 auto Cummins, Will make even a Cummins engineer smile
    2001 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC 4x4 shortbed, Finally able to test the JK reprogram.......

Is this the 2001 I assume?

I've heard a quite a bit about the front wheel bearings, but haven't had any issues with mine.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Both front wheel bearing failures I have experienced could be felt through the steering, and had a 'growl' through the floorboards as well. Turning left or right was accompanied by more snaps, pops, and complaining.

If the ABS light came on, I'd look for a wheel sensor and/or out of balance condition, first. If its just a vibration at this point, you may only have an out of balance tire/wheel combo, or tread separation underway. Did you go through any mud recently?

My first course of action would be to rotate tires from front to rear, balancing the fronts. Have shop inspect wheel bearings, wheel sensor, brake calipers/rotors, etc. visually at that time.

If it persists, you may be looking at a wheel bearing problem.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

The truck was looked at by the shop Thurs eve just before quitting time. He was sure that that was it after a drive. The parts were to be here today at noon. The truck went to the lift was put in 4WD and the stethscope proved us both wrong. It was the bushing at the output shaft of the transfer case. the bushing had pushed the seal out. The bushing that NO gm dealer seems to stock.

This transfer case was replaced about 2 yr ago because of the pump rub.

The drive line is being closly inspected to find the cause.

We did find the last rental car near the Talladegs race area, and now are driving it.

Hopefully the parts will arrive when promised, Monday at noon. The trip home will probably be 12 hrs late in starting.

What a weekend, we were run out of our display at the track this evening, told to drop the tent as they are expecting the "worst weather ever at the track".

Are we having fun yet?
    Last edited by markelectric; 04-23-2010 at 19:13. Reason: cant spelllllll
    2001 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC 4x4 shortbed, Finally able to test the JK reprogram.......

Quote Originally Posted by markelectric View Post
    It was the bushing at the output shaft of the transfer case. the bushing had pushed the seal out.
    I wonder if this result has anything to do with the after-the-fact fix that replaced the originally-designed 2-piece rear driveshaft with a longer 1-piece? Many of the 4WD crew cab shortbox rear drivelines (and a few extended cab longbox trucks - same wheelbase) were swapped at the dealership for a 1-piece rear shaft because of a "launch shudder" complaint. My 2001 has never shuddered, and is still running the original 2-piece rear shaft.

A longer rear driveshaft could result in more lateral loads on the txfer case tailshaft due to vibration and rough roads. Just thinking out loud....

Jim

I dont even know if I have a 1 or 2 piece shaft. With the track responsibilities and everything around that, I have had no time to look at any of this. I feel sorry for my wife as I basicly told her to deal with it. I made the phone calls but she has had to deal with the running around and rental etc....

Home again

Turns out the U joint next to the transfer case was bad. I have the 2 piece shaft. The shop put it back finaly on Mon at quitting time. made for a long night drive home. I feel sorry for the guy that had to go with me having a long wait on the repair and the ride as he had a 2hr drive after that.

At least the truck was smooooth on the way home.