Thread: 2002 6600, can you tell if are injectors changed?

Smile 2002 6600, can you tell if are injectors changed?

Looking at two different trucks to purchase, one at 91k the other at 120k, no records on carfax indicating service for injectors, one reported glow plug replacement, anyway to spot for injector replacement by visusal inspection. Will a good pre inspection by a diesel Tech, spot problems with injectors,
    Thanks for the feedback.

Carfax will not report injector replacement.

Run the VIN at any GM dealership for warranty service history - most 2002 LB7s got a replacement set by now. Beyond that, I'd look carefully at the valve covers for signs that they have been removed and resealed.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

There is no definitive way to tell. The injectors are under the valve cover, and there are several reasons the valve covers may be removed. Carfax is not the final answer (way overrated). Have a GM dealer shop run the VIN for a complete history. Post the VIN here (in a new thread, requesting a VIN check), and one of our members may do it for you.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Thanks

I Called a local Chevy dealer with service open on Saturday!, They were happy to run vins on tel, one with lower mileage has no records, one with higher showed glow plugs and injector, he said he could not confirm if it was one or all eight but it seems strange to go that far, and just do one, He said, sometimes cheyy would only authorize one! I was going to get a presale inspection done, would fuel pressure and OBD 2 checks catch it or is just a crap shoot as to how long before they need to be changed!

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselpower639 View Post
    I Called a local Chevy dealer with service open on Saturday!, They were happy to run vins on tel, one with lower mileage has no records, one with higher showed glow plugs and injector, he said he could not confirm if it was one or all eight but it seems strange to go that far, and just do one, He said, sometimes cheyy would only authorize one! I was going to get a presale inspection done, would fuel pressure and OBD 2 checks catch it or is just a crap shoot as to how long before they need to be changed!
    Please allow me to be straight forward with my opinion.

The 2002 has an LB7 engine, both of your prospects are around 100K. Read the history here for yourself on this very issue that you are asking. Injector replacement is an inevitable event waiting to happen, spoken from experience more than once. Some have great luck and service with the LB7, but the multitude of complaints here alone is testimony enough.

Walk away and don't be disappointed now or later. An injector replacement is around ~US $5,000.

Merely an opinion but you could not pay me $5000 and give me an LB7 engine (no offense to those that have this engine, as my mileage was far less than expected).

Default So '02 dmax suck?

Wow, so even if you fix these, the LB7 is just awful? Any recommendations? Since I have been checking out '05 and '06 and found trucks that were in much worse shape, and anyone who actually wants to get rid of one that is later, is doing it too dump a problem?

Good point made by NutNbutGMC. There are no 'bad' year Duramaxes, they all are great trucks, but you must consider the value of remaining warranty, the unreliable and high labor cost of (early design) injector replacement on '01-'04.5 LB7 models, compared with the newer (i,e, possibly still under warranty), more reliable, and less expensive to repair LLY, LBZ, and LMM models (2004.5 - present).

Unless you are buying the '02 for 10K or under, I'd spend some more coin and score a 2006 LBZ, with similar or even higher miles. The 2006 listed in my profile is a ~14K truck, for comparison...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Smile Thanks for the input!

I have a been looking, and researching, and this website has been very informative, I am here on the left coast, where everything costs too much! and finding a 10k or under any truck usually means it has been used to haul boulders or been used for drug running the desert, dealers are asking14-19k private sellers with low mileage are asking even more, and I felt that low mileage just meant the problem was coming. I don't want a flashy truck, looking at an 05 with 105k miles in the morning, for around 15k and really just want to find a nice daily driver that will pull my trailer! I wouldn't be asking the right questions, and if i had an 02 duramax and it needed 4k worth of work, I would do it!

My history with the 01 lb7 i'm on my 8th set of injectors and the second injector pump just bailed on me as well as both head gaskets, bought truck new in early 02,still bone stock and just turned 160k last week really not a fan,6300 repair can any one direct me to a repair manual or instruction to repair /replace pump and h/gaskets any help would be greatly appreciated