Thread: Diesel $6 per Gallon, so what about veggie oil?

Default Diesel $6 per Gallon, so what about veggie oil?

Hi,

Diesel over here is hitting the $6 per U.S. Gallon ... As you can get high quality pure vegetable oil for about $4 a gallon I'm really thinking about
    running 20% Diesel and 80% veggie oil in my 6.5 with DB 4911.

Do you think it is worth it? the price of the veggie oil really is great comparted to Diesel fuel...

I'd really like to drive my sweet K5 for a few years until the final oil crisis arrives and we'll have to walk.

BTW:a new McKinsey report says it won't take any longer than 2013 and the days of cheap oil are over

But back to my truck: 80% veggie plus 20% real stuff= OK or not OK?

Thanks and greetings from Germany

Florian

Arrow

Elections have consequences in a free society.

There has been no global warming for more than a decade, but those who push it as a way to create a carbon tax are deaf to the facts.

Elections have consequences in a free society.

Jim

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fullsizeBlazer View Post
    Hi,

Diesel over here is hitting the $6 per U.S. Gallon ... As you can get high quality pure vegetable oil for about $4 a gallon I'm really thinking about

Do you think it is worth it? the price of the veggie oil really is great comparted to Diesel fuel...

I'd really like to drive my sweet K5 for a few years until the final oil crisis arrives and we'll have to walk.

BTW:a new McKinsey report says it won't take any longer than 2013 and the days of cheap oil are over

Florian
    Not ok..........

Quote Originally Posted by NutNbutGMC View Post
    Not ok..........
    why not?
    though to the OP you might check out a wvo setup running non-waste oil would be easier even.
    93 GMC Sierra 2500
    6.5L TD 5 spd Manual trans Sold

97 Chevy Silverado CrewCab K3500 Dually
    6.5L TD Auto

Well,
    unfortunately I do not think that it's gonna get any cheaper ever ...
    but the facts are:

Diesel per l: $ 1,60
    Veggie Oil per l: $ 1,1

That means I'd save about $5,5 per 100km, makes $55 per 1k kilometers.

As for the veggie oil: it is highest quality pure oil, made for the use as fuel in engines.

I'm in first line concerned about the lubrication of my IP, it is said (over here) that the Stanadynes do not like veggie oil. You at least have to flush them once and a while with pure Diesel if you are driving your truck with 100% veggie oil.

Greetings

Florian

Well,
    I'm in first line concerned about the lubrication of my IP, it is said (over here) that the Stanadynes do not like veggie oil. You at least have to flush them once and a while with pure Diesel if you are driving your truck with 100% veggie oil.

Greetings

Florian
    VO will supply all of the lubrication your injection pump needs - perhaps even way more than it needs. Water contamination and cleanliness are the usual worries about VO. If you're doing a good job where water and contamination are concerned, I'd run it in a mix (20-50%) with petroleum diesel in the summer months, and a switched fuel supply during the winter months (start and stop on 100% petroleum diesel when temps are below freezing).

If diesel goes to $6 or $7 per gallon here, people will begin using all sorts of crazy stuff in their diesels....

Jim

Hi,

Florian

Go to Greasecar.com and get a kit to burn it straight. 6.5s love WVO I ran one in my burb with no issues. Now run it in my 2006 LBZ Dmax. Good luck
    2006 LBZ Duramax CC/SB,Line-X,Advance Fold a Cover, 2WD, 4" Aero Turbine Exhaust, Isspro Gauges A Pillar,Westin Nerd Bars.Blocker Plate. Burkhard PCV Re-Route
    Greasecar Kit with Automated CoPilot, 200 gal WVO tank. Inline Particle Counter for ISO rated WVO Cleanliness.Time to go fishing, Now I pass everything including the fuel station. .

@Basshopper:

Hey, thanks a lot for the link. Looks like a great company & great products.

There are a lot of veggie conversion shops over here too, but it is nice to see so many 6.5 / 6.2 Trucks that were converted to veggie oil on greasecar dot com.

Well, let's see, I just have to finish the k5 anyway, maybe I'll really add a conversion kit.

Greetings

Flo

Default Running a 6.5 on WVO & Just Hit 80,000 miles

I'm not sure where the paranoi comes from. WVO is a better lubricant than diesel and in the 6.5 does just fine.

What is needed is a heated 2-tank system like the Greasecar system. I have used mine since October of 2005 and just went over 80,000 miles on WVO.

The other MAJOR concern is the Pump Mounted Driver attached to the injector pump. They sell remote mounted PMD coolers for the 6.5. The computer component is susceptible to heat already, so added a heated fuel source is suicide for this module. Move it to behind the grill or to a wheel well and it will last much longer (with or without WVO.)

forbey

Default Heated Diesel fuel / PMD !

Don't even think of running the engine with out a known adequate heat sink. The FuelFilter Manager heats theIPfuel to158 degrees. GM think was that the IP could be an adequate heatsink for the PMD. One only has to look at @ HEATH PMD heat sink to understand the importance of an adequate heat sink.Some peeps claim a Stanadyne PMD will die quickly with no heat sink,or mounted on an engine componet. Believe it or pay $$$
    4doorTAHOE6.5TD

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5TDTahoe View Post
    Don't even think of running the engine with out a known adequate heat sink. The FuelFilter Manager heats theIPfuel to158 degrees. GM think was that the IP could be an adequate heatsink for the PMD. One only has to look at @ HEATH PMD heat sink to understand the importance of an adequate heat sink.Some peeps claim a Stanadyne PMD will die quickly with no heat sink,or mounted on an engine componet. Believe it or pay $$$
    Ummm. No. Where did you hear that?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

well, Diesel now is: $7.87 / Gallon. F***, I'm glad that I do not have to drive my truck every day.

BTW:

In the last few months I found a lot of 6.2s over here that were converted to veggie oil. People have no problems with the engines/ IPs but most of the conversions I came across were converted on quite a professional grade.
    Most of the trucks are started on diesel and flushed with diesel before stopping the engine.

The C/K Series is very popular in Germany because this series was more or less the only fullsize US truck you could afford to drive in the 80s and later.
    Gas prices traditionally are quite high in Europe, especially in Germany.
    Regular gas thus has been over $8 for quite a time.
    Well,
    before they offered the trusty 6.2 Diesel, American cars consequently had a very bad reputation. The 6.2 changed quite a lot, mostly because of its great fuel economy and -as stupid this may sound- because it is a Diesel. There are a lot of people over here who have never driven a gasser. The 6.2 thus was a great success. People still are paying $10k + for old and shabby CUCVS.

Over all I'm really curious how much $ we have to pay in 10 years or so for a gallon. Hope there's some oil left for me to drive my truck otherwise I'll have to grow me my own veggie fuel.

Greetings

Flo

Default good parts

i got my parts from green machine fuel. theyre great quality, all hand made and stainless. the hose in hose they have works great too. best price i could find for almost everything. worth checking out! http://www.green-machine.yolasite.com