Thread: zerk fitting locations Duramax

Default zerk fitting locations Duramax

Hi,
    All my searches for Zerk locations turned up links that have long expired. If someone would be so kind to post or email some photos I will place them on a server that will be around for a long time.
    My specific truck is a 2006 C3500 4wd crew cab dually. I can find 10 of the proposed fittings easily ie: 6 on the tie rod assembly (4 on ends of tie rods, 1 on idler arm and 1 on steering arm)
    4 on ball joints, upper and lower each side. There is supposed to be 1 more from what I gather but I can't locate it.

Thanks, Splitrimz
    1994 C3500 6.5TD CREWCAB DUALLY, Heath Turbomaster, cone style cold air intake, PMD cooler mounted under grill, Banks boost and exhaust temp gauges, OPS bypass, Air Lift rear bags.

2006 LBZ LTD, 4WD, CREW CAB DUALLY.

Smile zerk fitting locations on 2006 C3500

I found it! With help from a posted description by someone, mentioning that there was one on the upper end of the idler arm. On the 2006 it is on the side of the upper end of idler arm, it points towards the block.

This job will be much easier in the future, knowing where the fittings are and the best angle to go at them.

I have a lever type small pumper type grease gun and it was proving to be impossible to hold the nozzle on the fitting and pump at the same time. That is until I discovered a nifty end for the gun.
    http://www.merchant-automotive.com/r...seadapter.aspx
    I found it at NAPA for the same price. It slips over the fitting at a right angle and clamps itself to the fitting. I use it with a flex extension on the gun, It will fit on every fitting except the two lower ball joints which can be accessed straight on .
    1994 C3500 6.5TD CREWCAB DUALLY, Heath Turbomaster, cone style cold air intake, PMD cooler mounted under grill, Banks boost and exhaust temp gauges, OPS bypass, Air Lift rear bags.

2006 LBZ LTD, 4WD, CREW CAB DUALLY.

I greased my truck a couple of weeks ago. I normally remove the plastic splash plate that covers the steering components beneath the truck - to allow better access to the zerks. A relatively simple job once the plate has been removed. It comes off and goes back on easily.

For the ball joints, I spin the steering wheel all the way to the right when doing the left side ball joints, and all the way to the left when doing the right side joints. I prefer to carefully powerwash the zerks before greasing them - to keep dirt out of the joints and keep the area cleaner...

Jim