Thread: Glow Plug Card ? Newer Style?

Default Glow Plug Card ? Newer Style?

Hey folks,

another wiring question:

I got me a newer style gp controller:

I know that the earlier models/cucvs have a different style controller:

Do I need the card & connector for my new style controller? The connector of the harness & glow plug card in the picture below seems to be for the old style gp controller :

If your going to use use the newer style controller then you need to make a custom wire harness to integrate it. Not all that compicated..

I have done a tech article on seamless intergration of that type here

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...b&tid=3&pid=16

The controller for the cucv is military specific, I decided to use the civy controller for parts availabilty.. You have to track down the harness that plugs onto the civy controller. I would go to the dealership parts dept to make sure you get the right one..
    Project K-1
    75 GMC Jimmy with a 97 H-1 Hummer drivetrain on 1 ton axles.

ps Im assuming you have a cucv? there is nothing listed in your sig line so??

Your middle picture is specific to the early style 82, the bottom pic is the cucv specific controller.

if you have something else, I can help you with that too.
    Project K-1

@85-m1028:

hey, thank you very much for your help! I already checked your link, excellent writeup

I don't have a cucv, I have a matching wiring harness for the newer style GP controller but I do not know what kind of card or relay I have to use additionally.
    It seems that the CUCV glow system is different from the civilian one, but i do not know how the system is in the civilian models. Unfortunately my old harness was completely hacked.

... btw: Is it possible that the GP controller & the relay is combined in one unit in the 85 up models?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by fullsizeBlazer View Post
    ... btw: Is it possible that the GP controller & the relay is combined in one unit in the 85 up models?
    It is possible. In fact, it's fact. There is only one "controller" part for the 1985+ models. The timer and relay is integrated into the same component.

For a more detailed diagram of the 1985 glow plug system, have a look at the diagram at the "truck stuff pics" link in my sig.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The newer style controller is easy to hook up. The temp switch is there so the controller knows not to turn on when the engine is up to temp. One ignition on hot lead, one start hot lead, one ground, and two leads from the hot side of the glowplug power point to go to power the "wait" light and the temp switch.
    Project K-1

OK

these are good news! I just do not know right now which harness I should use.

-The new one with all the surplus wiring I do not need (like ABS sensor and ECM module)

-Or the old one which is much more basic but needs new glow plug connectors (no problem as I found out the PN for the connectors 12020274 )
    - I'm afraid that the new one might not work properly without having hooked up all the ECM stuff

Well, the only thing I

Default New Glow plug controller into Chevy M1028

@85-m1028
    Hello
    i am from Germany and sorry for my bad English. But i Need help.
    I have an old Chevy Truck M1028. I buy this car since 2007.
    Now the old glow plug Card inside my Truck is broken.
    Is there a Chance to built the newer Glow plug Controller into
    the truck. you have write that you have an tech article about this
    Problem with the new glow plug Controller.
    Many friends from me in a other Ami car Page here in Germany have the
    same Problem with this things. And we canĀ“t find Information about this. Maybe you can help me with writes and Pictures how i can fix the newer glow plug Controller into my Chevy M1028.
    Thank you and i am looking Forward to Hearing from you.
    Julien