Thread: No headlights

Default No headlights

I'm having an intermittent electrical problem with my 84 GMC K1500. I lose the headlights, tail lights (but not brake lights) and insturment panel lights. Just replaced ground cable from block to firewall and reterminated the ground from the block that goes into the wiring loom. The battery to block ground seems to be fine.

I've replaced the headlight switch but that made no difference. Can't hear any popping of the circuit breaker in the headlight switch (no suprise in an 84 6.2L) and can't smell any burning or burnt insulation. Thought it might be in the dimmer switch, but can't get any reliable fix or cause by wiggling the turn signal stalk.

Any ideas? BTW, I hate intermittent faults...
    1984 GMC K1500, stock
    Racor filter/water seperator
    255 70 16 Dunlops
    100800 mi
    Standyne Performance Formula used at recommended dilution

Quote Originally Posted by spiff View Post
    I lose the headlights, tail lights (but not brake lights) and insturment panel lights.
    I'd trace the power feed backwards from the light switch until you find the problem.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Default Off to probe the wires

Thanks John,

Will get out my trusty multimeter and have at it. Mostly I was wondering if there was a component that had this failure mode.
    1984 GMC K1500, stock
    Racor filter/water seperator
    255 70 16 Dunlops
    100800 mi
    Standyne Performance Formula used at recommended dilution

Default having a similiar drama

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm down here in Australia. Unfortunately there is limited tech data available down here. I walked out to my truck this morning and found the headlight switch was pulled out slightly, I had No headlights, tail lights, dome lights and horn. I found a burnt terminal in the plug on the switch. all the fuses seem OK but don't have power. Does anyone have any ideas or a wiring diagram that would help me chase this problem
    Cheers

Terry