Thread: Installing new glow plugs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Installing new glow plugs

I have never put glow plugs in, is there anything particularly tricky I should know, I have a 1997 K1500 6.5 (S) model and I ordered the set Kennedy has on sale.

I like ti use dielectric grease on the threads, plus the terminals to prevent rust. Some use anti-seize, but I find dielectric to last longer especially with the heat.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Alldata shows that I need a glowplug socket to replace the glowplugs. They refer to the part number as "J 41515-A Glow Plug Socket" Is there anything special about this socket or will a deep well socket of the appropriate fit work? Do I have to take any parts off such as the turbo or starter? Thanks in advance

Arrow

Nope. Just a deep socket, or box end wrench where the socket doesn't fit.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Hello CCC and welcome.

Last week I put in 7 of the 8 Kennedy Glow Plugs I purchased. They seem to be a great product and I believe it is a 10mm deep well that I used to remove the old and install the new.

The reason I say 7 of the 8 is because the entire pass side is a challenge and there is one glow plug behind the down pipe which is especially tricky. I was advised to take the inner fender out of the pass side to make removal and replacement easier...this is good advice and allowed me to get right in after the plugs with a straight shot.

I think I will be able to get the last plug with a swivel/extension setup but have not been able to work on it yet so I cannot be sure. I highly recommend removing the inner fender for this operation it makes the difficult pass side plugs much easier.
    1997 GMC 2500 6.5 4 x 4
    Kennedy Quick Heat Glows
    Stanadyne "bullet proof" PMD

Quote Originally Posted by Ms54Coupe View Post
    The reason I say 7 of the 8 is because the entire pass side is a challenge and there is one glow plug behind the down pipe which is especially tricky. I was advised to take the inner fender out of the pass side to make removal and replacement easier...this is good advice and allowed me to get right in after the plugs with a straight shot.

I think I will be able to get the last plug with a swivel/extension setup but have not been able to work on it yet so I cannot be sure. I highly recommend removing the inner fender for this operation it makes the difficult pass side plugs much easier.

very good advice. you could try to get at it without removing anything, but you will probably spend the same amount of time as if you removed it, and end up with more abrasions.....
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb