Thread: Troubleshooting Vacuum switch boost control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have checked the wiring back to the computer (I read 10K ohms resistance across the wastegate soleniod leads until I pulled the computer). Since the vacuum pump works and the soleniod works and the wastegate actuator works and the wiring is good, than either the computer is not telling the soleniod to operate or I have a blown port on the computer. All other engine operations seem to be normal - no codes.
    Am I missing something?
    I now have an excuse to install a Holset HX35 - new project!
    Thanks for everybody's input.

BERT
    1995 6.5T 4x4 4L80E Trans haules my 5th wheel RV
    Rebuilt engine & Tranny at 220000km
    DSG gear drive & stud girdle
    97 water pump & dual stats
    remote FSD
    Kennedy fan clutch & Dmax fan
    SPA digital gauges - boost, exhaust, trans temp, fuel pressure
    Kennedy 3.5" Exhaust & chip
    Fluidamper & AFE air filter
    Bilstien shocks
    remote Amsoil bypass oil filter
    marine injectors
    31"x12x4" charge air cooler
    DSG Oil cooler
    B&M transmission pan
    Holset HX35W

1988 C2500 6.2 retired with 570000 kms

1997 Jeep TJ with 6.2/6.5 in its future

You can try swapping out the MAP sensor. (little rectangle plastic box on top of the intake plenum)

The Barometric sensor (firewall slightly to the passenger side fo the hydro boost) can also cause issues.

These two sensors feed info on whats going on with air pressure inside and outside the engine and if faulty can make a huge difference in the way things work.

With 15" at idle then near zero when running means that the ECM is pulling the vacuum off way too soon.

The last one of these I had an issue with, I replaced the chip with a Heath Chip (vacuum system overide programming) plus I installed the turbo master.

End of issue.

Just be sure to have gauges (Pyro and boost) and drive the thing accordingly not exceeding 900F Post turbo or 1000-1100F preturbo

Keep the boost set no higher than 12 PSI .

This works fine and then you can stop chasing the gremlin.

The vacuum system was a good idea, but the application hardware and software were a tad unreliable.

If you are not getting any codes (78) for wastegate solenoid then there is another issue.

With the solenoid bypassed, you should see more than 6 PSI of boost under a hard pull.

Was the vacuum reading on the pump steady at 20" ?? if the needle wiggles it means the pump is shot.

The last several pumps I have checked, all ran 26" at the pump.

I agree on the 15" being minimum, but 20" is not uncommon.

What do you get for vacuum at the Turbo if you just rev the engine ?? it should not change much, should be near 15-20" HG

Keep us posted

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY