Thread: cant release p30/3500 rear drums

Unhappy cant release p30/3500 rear drums

dear all
    i cannot release the rear drums on my truck chevyp30/gmcp3500 dually
    I see the 4 slots in the backplate and have tried to adjust and unlock the shoes but cant do it, and so would appreciate your help on how or what i should insert into these slots to release the shoes so i can remove the drums
    thanks very much

chris

bfh! If they wont break lose after a good beating, cut them off if they are that bad they're probably junk anyhow,cut off wheel on a grinder & watch your depth. Cut most of the way through and a chisel will split them. I've split a few that way.
    87 crew cab dually 2wd w/6.2 converted to 4wd and working on 6.6 lb7 transplant. frame up restoration.
    04 e350 w/6.0 work van
    00 24' prowler

Before you do that...

(I've never done a 3500 dualie, but....)

Try slipping a thin screw driver in the proper slot and push the adjuster paw off the adjuster star wheel. Then you might be able to turn it back with a brake adjuster tool.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

An 8" piece of coat hanger bent into an "L" shape works well, too. Just stick it in the adjusting hole, rotate so it's between the adjuster and lever, then push the lever away from the star wheel.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

I understand as its a dual wheels the drum and bearing are all combined and therefore i have to remove the half shaft from the axle.

yes the drum & hub (where bearing resides) are one & you will need to remove the axle shaft, some retainer rings, & axle nuts. The same as any full floater rear end.
    87 crew cab dually 2wd w/6.2 converted to 4wd and working on 6.6 lb7 transplant. frame up restoration.
    04 e350 w/6.0 work van
    00 24' prowler

thanks for that, but when i do get the half shaft out
    i still havent a detailed answer to exactly how do i release the shoes off the drum via the 4 slots in the rear plate. i can stick a screwdriver in it to move the shoe on and off but how do i hold them off the drum???
    cheers
    chris

a drum is set up to slide on and off the shoes with the shoes expanding to make contact to the drum. When a drum seems to be stuck on, typically the shoes have worn into the drum and created a ridge on the outer rim that keeps the drum from sliding over the shoes.Or there is damage inside (broken springs)or a stuck e brake cable expanding the shoes. Usually some good whacks with a bfh will release the shoes. I have never bothered with backing off the adjusters. In my experience it's a waste of time. If a drum has a ridge that deep in it or has damage that bad inside I cut them off. I'd rather start with all new parts anyhow as it's obviously in bad shape in there.
    04 e350 w/6.0 work van
    00 24' prowler