Thread: filter and pump help

Default filter and pump help

ok I have a old 85 k10 with a 6.2 in it and the filter base is leaking out of the senser .... I know these have a o-ring behind them so I need to fix it... but I really dont like the filter that comes on these so I was thinking of adding a RAC 215R122-12 volt- 2 Micron.... it has a flow of 15 gph and a heater in it would that be a good replacement I live in Oregon and it really dont get that cold here offten my other thought was useing a filter off a cat 3406 thay have a priming pump on them that I was thinking might be better.... or should I get one that has a lift pump built in and by-pass my old motor driven one? any and all thoughts would be helpfull
    Thanks

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

The fuel filter question is a simple one. Try to keep it simple. It isn't rocket science. If the filter meets flow and filtration requirements, it will work. Simple as that. WIF (Water In Fuel) sensors, fuel heaters and restriction sensors are nice to have, and may be needed for some applications, but are not necessarily required for proper function. Those factors can be considered depending on your individual use.

The pump question isn't so simple. The absolute best option is a mechanical pump. They are vastly more reliable than an electrical, and perform better, in most applications, and are only a fraction of the cost to replace. And, they do not require a fail-safe system (required by law, and common sense). Having an electric pump in the system is certainly a good idea for maintenance, priming (especially after a filter change), and diagnosing fuel system problems. If you have an option for adding an electric with a system upgrade, by all means include the electric. Be sure it will "pass" fuel when it is not in operation (most pumps will, but verify).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com