Thread: Removing Spring Bushings

Default Removing Spring Bushings

I pulled the front leaf springs from my 1987 V3500, with the intent to replace the bushings. I've got new ones, but can't seem to get the old ones out of the spring eyes. Anyone have a good method?
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck

A 20 ton shop press should do the trick.

Arrow

They can be a real bear. If I don't have a press handy, I burn out the rubber with a propane torch, then used a punch to remove the shell. It takes about the same amount of time as using a press with a stubborn set. The heat from burning out the rubber seems to help loosen the shell. If they are really stuck, the press will push out the rubber and leave the shell behind anyway, and you may still need some heat to get it loose.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    If they are really stuck, the press will push out the rubber and leave the shell behind anyway, and you may still need some heat to get it loose.
    That's why I always find a steel sleeve to press against the shell -- not the rubber.

Thanks guys,

I burned them out of the springs in my 83, only to replace the set anyway. I was a little leary of doing that, in case the heat would damage the spring eye, but on second though, I'd only be using a plumber's torch, which proabably could not heat the steel enough to alter the properties.

I don't have a press, so thats out.

I bought Energy Suspension bushings, they require the re-use of the steel shells. So maybe I'll just burn the rubber out and take some sand paper or emery cloth to the inside of the shells and leave them in place.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck

Arrow

You can't put enough heat into the springs to take out the temper, with a propane torch and burning rubber. I suppose it's possible, but only part of the heat is actually transfered to the outer areas, and it would take a LONG time. The mass is just too great, and too few BTU's to heat the springs enough to damage them. Not to say it won't be hot enough to cause a severe burn. I've done it dozens of times with no ill effects. A press is clean and neat, but not always the best option, or an option at all in some cases. If you are reusing the shells, it's probably best to burn out the rubber and leave them in place. Removing them with a press may render them unusable. Cleaning them up afterward should be easy, with only charred rubber left. You can clean them up really well with a steel bottle brush.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Just light the rubber on fire you don't need to heat the spring. I've done several that way. As it's been said a wire brush will clean it up easy.
    87 crew cab dually 2wd w/6.2 converted to 4wd and working on 6.6 lb7 transplant. frame up restoration.
    04 e350 w/6.0 work van
    00 24' prowler

I used to work at a suspension shop, burning out the bushings is how we got all our old bushings out. heat em up and they almost pop out

I pressed out the steel tubing, then used a chisel to cut the rubber... Took a little while, but wasn't bad at all.

Jim

last set I did, I used the Hot Wrench and made one nasty stink.

Cleaned the springs up easily with a little "end brush" in the drill motor, then stuffed in the new urethane bushings.

The secret is to burn out the steel tube in the center then the rubber will come out easily.

BUTTTTTTTTTT dont do it in the garage if its connected to the house, or its gonna smell really bad inside

Good O'll Hot wrench can fix anything, well almost.

Another way is to use an electric drill and run a bit between the spring and the center bushing in a couple places to chew out the rubber then just drive the thing out.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY