Thread: Shifting into OD problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shifting into OD problem

I am having shifting problems on my 1994, 6.5 Chev 3/4 ton.
    The tranny is a THM 4L80-E. Up shift into OD is a problem, after I drive 2 to 8 miles it begins to work better, then when I stop and start again it won't shift up into OD until I drive a few more miles.
    Does anyone have any helpful information to help me solve this problem?

There are several possibilities:

1. Low fluid
    2. Dirty filter
    3. Throttle Position sender
    4. Bad connections on tranny controller
    5. Need for rebuild (dropping O/D is limp mode)

Check 1., but 2. seems most likely based on your symptoms
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Could be that a fluid change may help, but I am inclined to look at the 3-4 shift solenoid.

These are electric valves that plug into the Valve body.

There are a couple other little "O" ring issues that can occur with these trannies that can cause this same issue.

A tranny shop can plug the scanner into the rig and check that the ECM is actually calling for a shift. If the shift is called for and not happening then the issue is likely a shift valve.

Been through this issue myself a while back.

If the fluid is clean (RED) then a trip to the shop for a quick electronics check is the next step.

Good luck

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

The first thing that any of the local shops recommend it to change the trans oil.

I had an issue with mine not going into OD and a bit of a shudder on down shift went away after I changed out the oil. The oil didn't look that bad when it came out, but once I sat down an worked out how long it had been in I was surprised.

It is a quick and easy fix, if it doesn't work then you can dig deeper into the problem.

Rule out the easy ones first.

Good luck

Brian
    Stock 98 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4

First get the codes. All you need is a paper clip and some knowledge.

Are you sure the problem is with OD and not with the torque converter lockup? They are often confused with one another.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510