Thread: 6.5 Turbo Diesel run on gasoline

I have a 1994 Chevrolet Suburban with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel with 120,000 miles on it. 7,000 miles ago, I was pumped a tank full of regular gasoline by a local station on an empty tank. I drove the vehicle at highway speeds for about 40 miles. I got to my destination and shut the engine down. It would not restart. After checking the fuel filter, I realized the problem and had the vehicle towed, tank drained, and new fuel filter changed. At the time, the Chevrolet Dealership's Service Manager said that in similiar situations, the engine isn't damaged. The bill was sent to and paid by the service station insurer. 7,000 miles and 11 months later the engine smokes excessively and a compression check shows cylinders ranging from a low of 360 psi to a high of 420psi. I talked to the insurance company stating that I feel the subsequent damage was the result of excessive cylinder component wear/damage caused by the gasoline incident. They told me if I would have the engine removed and disassembled by a qualified shop at my expense they would have an adjuster inspect it to determine if the wear/damage was caused by the gasoline incident, or is this a completely unrelated occurance
    My question to forum members is:
    Could the situation have been caused by the gasoline operation, and if so, how can I put provide a reasonable explanation to the insurance company with examples of similiar situations or scientific fact.

I've been driving diesel suburbans since 1983, and yes, I did get out of the truck and asked the attendent to fill the tank with diesel fuel!

britannic Guest

Gasoline will be incredibly hard on the injection pump due to its lack of lubrication qualities. Because gasoline resists detonation, unburnt fuel would also have washed the oil off the cylinder walls and accelerated piston ring and bore wear.

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Thumbs up

Howdy
    I think Britanic hit the nail. If they want factual info just tel them to talk to a petroleum expert and they can explain the differance between Gas and Diesel! I would be most concerned with the fuel system NO LUBE!
    We pay the insurence companies money for majority of our natural life and then when we have legit claim they act like we're trying to take the first-born. Granted this is probably due to the exorbinant lawsuits that todays paperhangers are getting...... Sorry for ranting but I tend to get wound up when it comes to things of this nature, no offense ment to any lawyers or insurance people out there!
    L8r
    Conley

One important factor would be how much diesel was in the tank before filling...less diesel means the gasoline effect would be greater. Britannic sums it up well!

mark45678 Guest

I would contact George Morrison the OIL tec guy! He post over on the Dmax forum all the time he may have some report from some past project that can help you out! He is very smart and know what he is talking about! Best of luck! George ARE YOU OUT THERE?

britannic Guest

The injectors may also be damaged and there's a possibility the valves suffered as well. If the gasoline detonated in the combustion chamber with some of the residual diesel from the tank (not good at all), then the supersonic high pressure shockwave may crack pistons, erode bores, stretch head bolts and damage the head gaskets.

If the gasoline detonated in the combustion chamber with some of the residual diesel from the tank (not good at all), then the supersonic high pressure shockwave may crack pistons, erode bores, stretch head bolts and damage the head gaskets.
    Not the case. That's like using C-4 to detonate a fire cracker. Gasoline's combustion process, regardless of the conditions, is mere child's play compared to Diesel. Gasoline in the combustion process will only diminish the violence, until it fails to combust at all. That's why the engine quits.

It is not likely that the gas as caused any damage past the injector pump. By the time there is enough gas to cause any harm, the engine would have quit running. The lack of lubrication would eventually cause damage to the pump, but the injectors won't cycle enough to cause any notible damage. As far as the cylinder walls getting washed down, it is possible, but the engine won't be running long enough to cause any scoring. It may even be helpful in getting old rings unstuck.

The term "Dieseling" that occurs in a gas motor is not really a Diesel combustion process. The combustion is caused by deposits that retain enough heat to cause the fuel to combust, like a supercharged glow plug. Gasoline will not combust on compression alone (at least not any level of compression you are going to attain in an engine).

daw2234
    It would seem to me that your 6.5 is suffering from common issues. The gas treatment may not have helped matters, but I don't think it caused it. I would suggest troubleshooting/treating your problem like the gas thing never happened. If, by chance, you can get your insurance co. to foot the bill for the overhaul, more power to ya. I would probably do the same thing if it were me. If the insurance adjuster determines that the tankful of gas had anything to do with the current condition, regardless of what might have happened, it would place the liability on the service station. After all, they have already admitted to the missdoing.

Good luck with your case.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com