Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Dmax Mav has you on the right track here, but jumping to conclusions it sure sounds like a cracked injector(s) issue. Thing is, I'd expect more volume in the crankcase.

I'd check system restriction first. Could be another loaded/plugged fuuel filter. The fuel system restriction is the first place to start with 1093 and 0087 diagnosis, and rather than just changing teh filter I would suggest that you test restriction to see what it is. A filter can load up VERY quickly with a bad tank of fuel. and put you right back to square one.
I spoke with one mechanic I trust (He was a diesel mechanic with GM before going out on his own). He is pretty sure it is the injectors but would need to run some tests first. I changed the oil drained close to 11 qts and changed
both oil filters The bypass filter was plugged dirtier than I had ever seen it.
Filled with new oil run it to operating temperature, let it set for 1/2 hour checked and noted level on dipstick I will monitor for an increase in level.
While I was under the truck I noticed oil blowback along the chassis coming from rear of engine and top of transmission.
What is a nominal charge for injector replacement I have been quoted 4-5 thousand from independent and 7-8 thousand from GM.

I have been told to get another one by my wife, She has never said that before in 51 years of marriage. I am thinking I should take the offer.
Reading this blog is seems that models with the LBZ engine are the best, but I would like to find something a little newer with a year or two of factory warranty left. That would be the LMM models. What are the major differences and how is performance/mileage affected? I suspect the main differences are emission controls? Ant input from all you D/M fans would be appreciated.
I always said I would rather push a Chevy than ride in a Ford and for the first time it almost happened