Thread: VW 3.6L V6 TDI to small truck?

Default VW 3.6L V6 TDI to small truck?

OK, noob question here, seen a few posts somewhat related, but nothing with exactly this question.

There's a bunch of late model small trucks (Toyota Tacoma for example) available at the insurance lots out here for relatively cheap - especially if you let them pull the engine out of it first.

VW also has a great little engine in their Passat (3.6L V6 - 280Hp / 258ft#) that's just a little bit more power / torque than the original engines that are in the small trucks.

Say one could pick up a low mileage engine and a good frame for relatively cheap... What would be the major hurdles of Frankensteining the two together.

I'm a big fan of the safety features on new trucks, and the diesel engines available in the Jettas and need the carrying capacity (lightweight but bulky) of the small trucks.

Anyone doing this out there? Hurdles?

2011 Tacoma specs
    2011 VW Passat specs

Thanks,
    Flyguy79
    Last edited by flyguy79; 08-03-2011 at 10:55. Reason: add links

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

Unless I'm missing something, according to your links, the 3.6L V6 is a gasser (although it is direct injection --"DI"). The 3.0L TDI from a Toureg (300 HP, stock), on the other hand......

That said, I don't see any reason any of these couldn't be shoehorned into any similar sized vehicle. I'm not familiar with the "narrow angle" VW V6, but it's probably similar to GM's 1980's narrow angle V6's (beginning with the 2.8L's). These were angled at 60°, vs. previous 90° V-6/8 engines, to accommodate more applications in smaller vehicles and transverse uses, as well as less weight. Later similar designs are still being employed today (3.1, 3.4, 3.5).

As you'll find out if you continue your quest, the problems that arise aren't fitment. It's the electronics and EPA regulations that present most issues.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

thanks DMax,

You're right... the 3.6 is a gas engine... I was originally looking at the 140hp TDI on the Passat, but the 225Hp 3L Toureg engine looks to be a pretty good fit too.

Electronics wise, I've seen some pretty slick aftermarket setups on track cars (used to be a 944 driver) that should be able to incorporate just about everything from the engine and truck.

The environmental side is where I'm a little fuzzy. Looking through the TX regulations, it says that Diesels don't have to do emissions testing here. What I'm not clear about though is whether since it's a 'gas' truck, are they going to hold me to the 'gas' emissions standards?

If so, could you just run biodiesel through it to eliminate the Sulfur while it's being tested? the rest of the emissions are pretty low in the VW engines to begin with.

Learning... slowly but surely learning...

Arrow

Hang on there. Changing fuels wont' change anything. Any Diesel won't pass a gasser test, and vise versa. The sulfur amount is irrelevant, even in late model Diesels. It isn't illegal to use a higher sulfur fuel, however, later emission equipment can be significantly damaged by higher sulfur content. Sulfur isn't sampled at the tailpipe, gas or Diesel, in any case.

You'll have to re-register the vehicle's MP (fuel it uses) on the title. This should, theoretically, relieve you of emission inspection requirements on that vehicle. Check your local laws. Don't take the word of some know-it-all DMV counter clerk. You'll probably have to research the vehicle requirement laws yourself. Then, you'll have to go to the DMV with the law in hand and tell them how to do their job. I've had to do this in CA several times over the years. Their first answer is always, "no, you can't do that", and they are almost always wrong. What you are looking for is NOT the emissions laws, but the section that deals with vehicle repower allowances. You may, at worst, have to comply with the standard required for that vehicle at the time, if it were delivered with a Diesel engine, even though it may not have been available at the time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Burning Oil is offline http://www.lubedealer.com/pmdcable/home.aspx

Along this same line, I was wondering what happens in regard to emissions if you convert a vehicle to electric only?
    1993 4x4 1ton 6.5/4l80e runs on WVO.
    1996 1ton 2wd crew cab 6.5/4l80e with db2 IP.
    1996 1ton 4x4 crew cab dually with Cummins diesel
    1970 Chevy 4x4 big block 4 speed.
    1972 Chevelle convertible with 540 CID engine.

We sell pmd extension cables and the Flight systems PMD or the new Stanadyne PMD with available 7 year warranty.
    Turbo Boost Bolts, engine oil cooler kits and lots of 6.5 turbo diesel parts. Check out the web site

www.pmdcable.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Oil View Post
    Along this same line, I was wondering what happens in regard to emissions if you convert a vehicle to electric only?
    That would seem to be a rhetorical question. Unless the machine being used to test the vehicle is worried about magnetic radiation, you will pass any test they want to give you. Zero values across the board .

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Burning Oil is offline http://www.lubedealer.com/pmdcable/home.aspx

You would hope that to be the case, but the inspector (atleast here) I believe is required to hook up to your OBDI or OBDII connector for the test. If its "dead" will that be a good thing? or will they freak out and not want to inspect it? or is there a law that prevents them from inspecting?
    I guess I need to ask my inspector. Our diesels are not smog checked here, so converting a diesel to electric may have more loop holes than a gasser??
    1993 4x4 1ton 6.5/4l80e runs on WVO.
    1996 1ton 2wd crew cab 6.5/4l80e with db2 IP.
    1996 1ton 4x4 crew cab dually with Cummins diesel
    1970 Chevy 4x4 big block 4 speed.
    1972 Chevelle convertible with 540 CID engine.

We sell pmd extension cables and the Flight systems PMD or the new Stanadyne PMD with available 7 year warranty.
    Turbo Boost Bolts, engine oil cooler kits and lots of 6.5 turbo diesel parts. Check out the web site

www.pmdcable.com

Generally, if the diesel engine is the same model year or newer than the vehicle it's going into, it'll be legal - if the vehicle was offered with a diesel engine or the engine was emissions certified by the EPA for the same weight class of vehicle. If the diesel engine was electronically controlled, you'll need to maintain the electronics and OBD access - to be legal.

Some states don't care what you do, as long as the conversion isn't obnoxious, and some states are uber anal about the letter of the law. In any case, you'll need to update the vehicle registration for the new fuel type.

EPA diesel conversion info:
    www.epa.gov/otaq/epg/statepgs.htm

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    I'm not familiar with the "narrow angle" VW V6, but it's probably similar to GM's 1980's narrow angle V6's (beginning with the 2.8L's).

Actually no comparison. The 'narrow angle' V6 made by VW/AUDI is their "VR6"...."R" stands for "reihenmotor", meaning inline....roughly translated as "inline V6" 10-15 degree angle, uses only one cylinder head to cover both banks of cylinders. It's an amazing piece of machinery
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine

I wish they had a VR6 TDI.
    Greg

07 Cadillac DTS NHP, 86 Chevy C10 6.2L Silverado SWB Apple Red--sold, 2001 White VW New Beetle GLS TDi 50mpg! 1995 VW GTI VR6--sold and greatly missed!
    "Try not!...Do!...or Do Not!...There is No Try!"--YODA

Quote Originally Posted by GregCrabb View Post
    Actually no comparison. The 'narrow angle' V6 made by VW/AUDI is their "VR6"...."R" stands for "reihenmotor", meaning inline....roughly translated as "inline V6" 10-15 degree angle, uses only one cylinder head to cover both banks of cylinders. It's an amazing piece of machinery
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine

I wish they had a VR6 TDI.
    I'm familiar with the VR6. They've been around for a long time. The sales stuff I read only stated "V6". The originals were a nightmare to work on, and I can't imagine them (German engineers) simplifying anything.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A