Thread: how do I remove front propeller shaft?

Default how do I remove front propeller shaft?

Just found out the "U" joint at the transfer case on the front propeller shaft is almost gone. Haven't used 4WD much lately, but remember hearing an odd noise the last time, now that I know it's shot. So I removed the front part of the shaft (from the axle) but can't figure out how to remove the back part at the transfer case, do I just pull it out? I thought it would be just a spline'd shaft, but it does not want to pull out easily so I stopped. Also am I going to have to buy the whole shaft?
    Got Big Truck 2001 Chevy/Duramax/4X4/6 speed/crew cab/long box

Arrow

Once you loosen the clamp around the rubber boot (at the rear, closest to the TC), the shaft should slide forward/out. It's only a splined coupling. Loosen the clamp by carefully inserting a flat screwdriver under the crimped part and pry outward. Careful to not damage the rubber.

Once reinstalled, you'll need to replace the boot clamp. Attempting to reuse it usually results in failure. Using regular hose clamps causes a shaft imbalance, and can destroy the spline shaft bearing/seal. If you don't have or can't get a new clamp and crimp tool, you can use large heavy duty wire (zip) ties, but they MUST be inspected/replaced regularly. Use 2-3 of them, or as many as will fit in the groove. Equally space the tie blocks around the boot (to help prevent a total failure, in case of hitting one on something). The metal clamp really should be used, but the zip tie method works in a pinch.

Also, lube the spline with waterproof lithium or moly (boat trailer axle) grease.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com