Thread: Duramax'n a 1971 Suburban?

Default Duramax'n a 1971 Suburban?

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and here to ask you about converting a 1971 (7th generation) C-10 Suburban that currently runs on a thirsty 1980's 350 and TH700 combination. I've got to say that this site has got some excellent info on it, although I do have quite a few specific Q's that I hope you can help me with.

Background:
    The car belongs to a friend of mine (sorry but I have no picture of the beauty at the mo) and he wants to throw a late 90's 5.3L Vortec LM7 and matching tranny (4L60E ?) in it. The reason he wants to swap is better MPG but also more power, so he's thinking about bolting on some rahrah stuff on it.

Me, being a firm believer in the wisdom of Rudolf Diesel since 2006, proposed that he instead should throw a Duramax and an Allison 1000 in it, specially since he's so concerned about MPG but also as he likes to boost his torque and power.

Money is of course an object and looking at Ebay there is a difference, although not that big. I did tell him that diesels hold their value better and probably will do so even more by the years, longevity etc, but he's really locked on a gasser and hasn't even bothered learning about the greatness of modern diesels.

* He probably has a 3.73 ratio, but is aware that switching to a 3.07 will do MPG wonders.

* He's NOT going to TOW any trailers.

* Southern Sweden has no hills.

* He's running wide street tyres (I will double check but probably around) 275/75/15's (~10" rear rim).

The problem:
    Comparative information is hard to come by since Chevrolet, by not equipping many of their cars and trucks with diesels, seem to favor the dividends of Big Oil over us small people and our planet.

And Ive noticed that MPG comparison of trucks in between seems difficult due to a lot or factors, never mind against a Suburban, or comparing a Camaro to a Suburban. Me, not having any knowledge about trucks I find MPG testimonials truck owners to be insane, gassers and diesels alike.

Finally, I have quite many Q's about a Duramax conversion and a few more will probably come along the way, but I'm numbering them so it's easier for you guys to keep track of them..

Q's:
    1. Which one of the Duramax's do you suggest?
    - The LML seems technically fantastic (B20 possibility with a particle filter, etc) but $$$$.
    - The LB7 seems the more fuel efficient than LLY/LBZ/LMM's IIRC?
    - How much of a worry is the LB7's inherent fuel-in-oil dilution problems and is it fixable/costly?
    - Anything else?

2. Is a 6-speed over a 5-speed Alisson 1000 a matter in his case?
    - What combined MPG can he expect?
    - What highway MPG 55/70/80mph?
    - Same Q's as above but with a 3.07 ratio?

3. What ~MPG will he get from a stock LM7 + 4L60E (?) combo?
    - Combined?
    - Highway 55/70/80mph?
    - What MPG from an LM7 with bolted on punch?

4. Conversion difficulties - Duramax and Allison?
    - Engine/Allison mounts and fitment?
    - Has it been done before on a 7th generation C-10?
    - Any links or litterature that can help?
    - Anything else to think about?

5. Conversion difficulties - LM7 and 4L60E? - Engine/Transmission mounts and fitment?
    - Any links or litterature that can help?- Anything else to think about, steering column etc?

6. I found this page: www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html but what Transfer Case and what Underdrive do C/10 Suburban's have?

7. My friend worries that a Duramax will not have the nice sound of gasser V8's. Any comments or clips that you can enlighten us with?
    - Currently he has a 4" (?) exhaust that brings good vibes to our neighbourhood.
    - Any other performance product that you recommend for better MPG or raHraH?
    - How much power and torque will the respectively two Allisons and the 4L60E take?

That was A LOT of questions but please feel free to make it easier by posting links to other threads or sites that can be helpful. Cheers!
    Last edited by DmaxMaverick; 09-17-2011 at 17:45. Reason: Engine code mixup.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rockwool View Post
    Q's:
    1. Which one of the Duramax's do you suggest?
    - The LML seems technically fantastic (B20 possibility with a particle filter, etc) but $$$$.
    - The LB7 seems the more fuel efficient than LLY/LBZ/LMM's IIRC?
    - How much of a worry is the LB7's inherent fuel-in-oil dilution problems and is it fixable/costly?
    - Anything else?

2. Is a 6-speed over a 5-speed Alisson 1000 a matter in his case?
    - What combined MPG can he expect?
    - What highway MPG 55/70/80mph?
    - Same Q's as above but with a 3.07 ratio?

3. What ~MPG will he get from a stock LB7 + 4L60E (?) combo?
    - Combined?
    - Highway 55/70/80mph?
    - What MPG from an LB7 with bolted on punch?

4. Conversion difficulties - Duramax and Allison?
    - Engine/Allison mounts and fitment?
    - Any links or litterature that can help?
    - Anything else to think about?

5. Conversion difficulties - LB7 and 4L60E? - Engine/Allison mounts and fitment?
    - Any links or litterature that can help?- Anything else to think about, steering column etc?
    1- The one you should get would be the one you can get the best deal on, and get the most complete package for.

2- See #1...

3- Don't attempt to use the 4L60 with the Duramax. A 4L80-E will work if the Duramax is detuned to 250hp/440 lb-ft.

4- Our Conversion Guide contains full size motor mount drawings, as well as instructions for engine fitment.

Yes, it'll work in a 1970 C-10. See a story I wrote about the 2006 SEMA show that had a C10 in attendance.

With an Allison, there'll be much-much more power/torque available than you can get with a streetable gas engine.

See our project to learn more.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    1- The one you should get would be the one you can get the best deal on, and get the most complete package for.

2- See #1...

3- Don't attempt to use the 4L60 with the Duramax. A 4L80-E will work if the Duramax is detuned to 250hp/440 lb-ft.

4- Our Conversion Guide contains full size motor mount drawings, as well as instructions for engine fitment.

Yes, it'll work in a 1970 C-10. See a story I wrote about the 2006 SEMA show that had a C10 in attendance.

With an Allison, there'll be much-much more power/torque available than you can get with a streetable gas engine.

See our project to learn more.

Jim

Thanks for your answer Jim, I did read about your project and about your conversion guide yesterday and will forward this information to my friend!

Although you misunderstood me on point 3. The 4L60E is to be mated to an LB7 gasser (that is the preference of my friend) and not an LM7 (which I believe was on your mind).

Thanks for the SEMA 2006 link, will check it out later!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rockwool View Post
    Thanks for your answer Jim, I did read about your project and about your conversion guide yesterday and will forward this information to my friend!

Although you misunderstood me on point 3. The 4L60E is to be mated to an LB7 gasser (that is the preference of my friend) and not an LM7 (which I believe was on your mind).

Thanks for the SEMA 2006 link, will check it out later!
    LB7 is the first generation Duramax Diesel. This is what you indicated you were mating to the 4L60. You might make it out of the driveway with this combination.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    LB7 is the first generation Duramax Diesel. This is what you indicated you were mating to the 4L60. You might make it out of the driveway with this combination.

You're right, there's only been a couple of days that I've started learning about the GM family of engines and i mixed the two up. I was thinking of the LM7 gasser both times. Thanks for correcting me!

EDIT: How can I correct the typo on my first post when there's no edit button on it?
    Last edited by rockwool; 09-17-2011 at 13:36. Reason: Extra question

Arrow

The edit feature is short lived. It's fine the way it is, with the later corrections, or I can fix it if you prefer.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

The edit feature is short lived. It's fine the way it is, with the later corrections, or I can fix it if you prefer.

Yea, it would be nice if you did to not confuse any body else that might dropp in later. Cheers

Arrow

OK. I gave it a shot. It's difficult keeping the apples with apples and the oranges with oranges. keep in mind, many combinations you see in Europe are not available in the US (same goes for most of your recommendations in the other thread).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

OK. I gave it a shot. It's difficult keeping the apples with apples and the oranges with oranges. keep in mind, many combinations you see in Europe are not available in the US (same goes for most of your recommendations in the other thread).

No worries about the first post, it's correct now, thanks!

I'm aware that line-up differences exist between EU/N.A, I just contributed in the only way I could.

Default Finally pictures of the beauty in question

Sadly this is the only one I've managed to upload but check out the link for a few more:

http://www.garaget.org/?car=263278
    Attached Images Attached Images