Thread: steering wheel abnormal play

Default steering wheel abnormal play

Hi,
    My steering wheel has a lot of play if you move it from top to bottom (lets say around 1/2") and about half of that play from side to side (1/4"). There is no play if you try to move the steering wheel in and out in relation to the steering column. Searching the forum there are posts about 4 bolts coming loose inside the column, is this my problem or is it the tilt mechanism going bad? Eventually will either of these items become a safety factor?
    Thanks.

3ace
    1991 Suburban 6.2L 3/4T 4X4 Banks Sidewinder Turbo Frybridized

The issue is the 4 little bolts that hold the tilt mechanism to the main column.

To get to it you need to pull the wheel
    Compress the lock ring and remove the snap ring
    Remove the lock ring.
    Now remove the scew that holds the ignition key tumbler in the column housing.
    Remove the screws that hold the turn signal switch assembly and then unplug the wires down on the column and slide the switch assembly up to gain working room (remove the turn signal handle)

Once your in this far you will see the pivots that the tilt moves on.

There is a round retainer over the spring that causes the wheel to move up when the lever is flipped, using a large blade screwdriver, press this retainer down and then turn 1/4 turn, remove retainer and spring.

The retainer has a square hole in it and is bright chrome in color.

Now screw in a couple small screws into the tilt pivot pins and with a slide knocker yank those pivots out.

Be sure to use the proper screws/bolts so you dont strip out the threads in the pivots.

Do not try to remove the pivots before you remove that spring and retainer.

Now the entire upper part of the tilt unit will come off.

You can at this point see the bolts and tighten them up.

I tiny bit of BLUE loctite on those bolts will stop this from happening again.

Reassemble in the reverse order.

Its not as bad as it sounds.

In the time it took me to write this reply, I could have almost been into one of these beasts and maybe have the bolts tight.

It is a safety issue and needs to be fixed.

I have seen many of these come loose over the years.

Good luck

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    The issue is the 4 little bolts that hold the tilt mechanism to the main column.

To get to it you need to pull the wheel
    Compress the lock ring and remove the snap ring
    Remove the lock ring.
    Now remove the scew that holds the ignition key tumbler in the column housing.
    Remove the screws that hold the turn signal switch assembly and then unplug the wires down on the column and slide the switch assembly up to gain working room (remove the turn signal handle)

Once your in this far you will see the pivots that the tilt moves on.

There is a round retainer over the spring that causes the wheel to move up when the lever is flipped, using a large blade screwdriver, press this retainer down and then turn 1/4 turn, remove retainer and spring.

The retainer has a square hole in it and is bright chrome in color.

Now screw in a couple small screws into the tilt pivot pins and with a slide knocker yank those pivots out.

Be sure to use the proper screws/bolts so you dont strip out the threads in the pivots.

Do not try to remove the pivots before you remove that spring and retainer.

Now the entire upper part of the tilt unit will come off.

You can at this point see the bolts and tighten them up.

I tiny bit of BLUE loctite on those bolts will stop this from happening again.

Reassemble in the reverse order.

Its not as bad as it sounds.

In the time it took me to write this reply, I could have almost been into one of these beasts and maybe have the bolts tight.

It is a safety issue and needs to be fixed.

I have seen many of these come loose over the years.

Good luck

Missy
    Missy,
    Thank you very much for your quick reply, it will help me do the job. I will post after I get done and how it turns out.

3ace

2 tools that are pretty nice are the steering wheel puller and the lock plate remover.

Trying to get the lock plate off without the tool is a real PITA

Just pay attention to detail, be careful, if something is not coming off easy, DONT get rough, find out why.

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    2 tools that are pretty nice are the steering wheel puller and the lock plate remover.

Trying to get the lock plate off without the tool is a real PITA

Just pay attention to detail, be careful, if something is not coming off easy, DONT get rough, find out why.

Missy
    Missy,
    I got the job done and it sure feels good not to have a wobbly steering wheel in your hands. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 3 pound slide with a screw/bolt adapter. I removed the left hand pivot pin no problem but the right hand pin was a different story. The slide hammer wouldn't remove it. I went to my local Oreilly's to see if I could use one of there rented slide hammers but no good. I then went by the tool section to see if they had one there and there before my eyes was the specific steering pivot pin removal tool. Cost was $11 and I paid $25 for the slide hammer. Already had the Steering Wheel and Lock Plate Pullers. I've attached some photos.
    Thanks again Missy for your help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad that it went fairly smooth.

I have seen some of the pivots pull out with little more than a little wiggling on the screw that you thread into the pin, and others that need persuation.

Does give one a better feeling about driving when you dont have to chase the steering wheel about the cab.

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY