I am considering finding a TH-350C for my Suburban because I am just not happy with my 700. I don't like the way it shifts, I don't like the "flimsy" feel it has (I can't put a finger on that one; I just don't trust it) and I have a vibration at 60-65 MPH that I know has to be internal to the transmission. It's not engine speed dependent, but road speed dependent. I thought it might be the driveshaft, but I know it's in balance and my driveline angles are good, as well as my U-Joints. I even swapped it into my in-law's Suburban and took it for a drive and it was smooth as silk. The problem with this plan is my rear axle has 3.73 gears. Since I don't tow with this, and since this engine likes 2nd gear even from about 5 mph (1st is so low it's about useless) I intend to run 2.73 gears in the rear end. FWIW that will make the TH-350 2nd gear act like cruising with a 4.10 rear if I am driving up a steep grade, so I have no worries about it being underpowered. The overall effective ratio in top gear with the 700 is 2.62:1, so 2.73:1 without overdrive will work just fine. I actually know how to work on a TH-350, they are cheap, and I have never been let down by one. I like it better than the 700, and I wish I would have gone that route to begin with. When I do the diesel conversion to my F-150 (it will be getting a 6.2L someday) it will get a TH-400 since I use it to tow and haul alot. But my Sub is going to eventually get a TH-350C and I hope to have a Custom Cruiser Wagon with a 5.7L diesel and a TH-350C in that one too.

The fly in the ointment is that I have no VRV on my I.P., so I'll have to install a cable operated modulator and figure out how I can actuate it and the kickdown cable. I'll also have to install a reluctor wheel for the electronic speedo, which I'll have to re-program for the change in axle ratio. As for TCC engagement, I'll wire it with a 3rd gear pressure switch and a brake interrupt switch. I'll put a "highway" button on the dash, and it will be used only during highway travel.

Then I'll be as confident with the driveline as I am with the engine!