Thread: Clutch replacement on 6-spd manual transmission

Default Clutch replacement on 6-spd manual transmission

Today I pulled the 6 sp manual transmission on my 2002 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6 Diesel. The throw out bearing had exploded and scattered parts all over the inside of the bell housing. Prior to that the clutch worked fine with the occasional clutch chatter starting out and a lot of noise from the throw out bearing. I have a new clutch kit with a t/o bearing-slave cylinder a pressure plate and clutch disc.
    The flywheel is in 2 parts which gives me 2 questions.
    1-The part of the flywheel attached to the engine has a sprung disc attached to it. Does that need to be serviced or checked in any way. All springs are complete.
    2-The friction part of the flywheel has some burn spots (temper discoloration) and seems slightly uneven. Will surfacing that at the machine shop make the flywheel as good as new or should it be replaced. If it is replaced are both parts replaced including the spring disc.
    I have 160,000 original miles on the clutch and would like to be that lucky with the replacement clutch.
    thanks

As long as the cushioning components between the two halves of the two-piece flywheel appear to be OK, it should be re-useable. It's when the two halves make clanking/pounding noises that it needs to be replaced ASAP because that's very destructive to the engine's crankshaft and the transmission.

Have the friction surfaces resurfaced. A good drivetrain shop will have the resurface specs (minimum thickness after resurfacing).

If the money is available, I'd opt for the newer single-mass flywheel parts. Always replace the pilot shaft bearing in the end of the crankshaft.

Jim

Default Dual Mass Flywheel

I went through two Dual Masses before someone suggested something different. If I remember right, everything inside the bell housing thing is off of the big block. Probably 100k miles on this one and no problem. The dual mass just can’t stand up to the Duramax. First failure was at the DOT station in NM and the second was at the US/Canadian customs border.
    (Must be something of an authority thing.)

Mike
    2002 GMC, Pretty Dark Blue, 4x4 / 3500, ZF6, 115 gal spare tank and Rockets... (My Other One): Flying Fuel. I got three engines and a 52,000 gallon tank, how many you got?