Thread: Manual Control of Auto Tranny?

Default Manual Control of Auto Tranny?

Here is something interesting that I found posted on another forum. Thought I'd pass it along as it seems to have some quite interesting information related to the auto tranny and control of it. Manual control of shifting, for example.

I have to admit, I originally thought that this "guide" contained mods you could do yourself by just tapping into certain wires. But, "upon further review" it seems it is related to a module that would need to be purchased (the first link I found listed it around $1,000).

Either way, still wanted to pass it along in case anyone else might be interested in something like this.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...ationGuide.pdf

Here's an excerpt from the manual:

2.2.8 Manual Shift Connection (Optional) – C8
    The TCU is configured such that it's possible to have fully manual upshifts and downshifts at the flick of a switch like a bump stick. This works by first activating the manual mode with one switch to Terminal C. Once activated, the transmission can be bumped up (Terminal B) or down (Terminal C) through the forward gears via an On-Off-On momentary rocker switch.
    Last edited by DennisG01; 03-05-2012 at 08:10.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Thanks for posting the link. This is very similar to that offered by www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com

PCS sent me an example of their 4L80-E kit a few years ago to look over. In it was a CD with their laptop software that allowed for custom configuration much like what the GM document describes. The kit was sent back, so I don't have any first-hand experience with it, though I have heard from others.

The beauty of an electronically-controlled transmission is the infinite adjustments that can be made to fine tune the shift scheduling and control. If this becomes popular, I can see owners trading programs, much like EFI_Live owners do now for the Duramax.

Jim