Thread: Disc Brakes Conversion?

Default Disc Brakes Conversion?

Ok so I have been throwing around the idea for sometime, about swapping my 99 k2500 14 bolt rear to disk brakes...

But I had an idea after crawling under a Buddy's Duramax at the fire station...

He has a 2003 with discs on the rear, same gear ratio, we looked it up... So my question is...

CAN I JUST SWAP AN AXLE OUT OF A DURAMAX AND HOOK IT ALL UP?

WHAT WOULD I NEED TO DO?

Thanks

Mike Scott

Firefighter
    Vancouver, WA

I guess you'd want to start by measuring spring centers and outside to outside of rear hub face to see how the dimensions match.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Check out this Link

http://tsmmfg.com/2630L.htm
    99 sub 2500, 326,000mi, 4:10, 265-75-16 rubber, remote Dtech fsd and turbo master from Heath Isspro pyrometer and boost gauge-Kennedy, 1.94 TDCO, 3" custom bent exh.
    07 Suburban,08 LMM, Allison 6 speed.

Arrow

The AAM1150 rear axle used in the Duramax uses a 1410 U-joint (larger than what you have now), so you'd need to install a larger joint yoke on the rear of your existing driveshaft. You may also have to make a change in length in the your rear driveshaft. Do both at the same time - joint and length change.

Jim

Default hmmm....

Well the axle swap sounds like more work than the disc conversion itself...

So if i go with the disk conversion and dump the axle idea, I can get the bolt on brackets and all the stuff for about $300.00 but I am not sure what to do about an E-brake...

Also, my other question is... do I need a proportioning valve? Will the ABS still work?

Thanks

Mike

Petrella did an axle swap. Too bad he hasn't been on here in over 2 years. Maybe he still visits under another user ID.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=26878

Well, ebrake can be on the drive shaft output. there are several options for this. But again $$$.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

What Dave said, call up TSM as he posted. Firstly they are very helpful and will spend all the time you will need on the phone with you. Secondly their kits are well thought out and put together. Thirdly they supply their kits to other sellers, so often you are buying their kit anyways.

E Brake, I went around on this one thought about a driveshaft brake but eventually went with the cadillac caliper option which comes with the ebrake feature. Furthermore they even make a kit to which you can mount two calipers onto, why well the cadillac caliper has slightly less surface area on the piston so if you are concerned about braking force then you can mount a regular caliper for regular braking and a caddy caliper for the ebrake only. I wound up purchasing the double mount kit and for now am installing just the caddy caliper only but it leaves me with the future option.

ABS will be OK, you may have to install an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear leading line if you find that they are too strong so to speak. In my conversations with TSM they say that in their experience the customers find that it works well with the trucks current proportioning setup.

Do not ask me how mine worked out because I still have yet to install it.
    97 K2500 Suburban, 3.42, 245 Tires, Custom Oil cooling lines, Snorkel Removed and 4" Heath Exhaust and Crossover. TSM Rear Disc Conversion.

Default Thanks For all the help

Sounds good everyone, thanks for all the info...

Mike