Thread: How long is too long to let my truck sit

Default How long is too long to let my truck sit

Usually I drive a car to and from work during the week days and then use my truck during the weekend for hauling the boat, etc. Is it ok for it to sit up to 5 or 6 days at a time?
    1991 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, 6.2L. 125,000 miles -Sold

2007 Chevrolet Silverado LBZ - R.I.P

2001 Chevrolet Silverado LB7-- Sold

2011 GMC Sierra, LML- 39,000 miles. All stock

Arrow

I've let Lil Red sit for months at a time - like through the winter - with little more than a Battery Tender (http://batterytender.com/) to keep the batteries charged.

If you plan to let the truck sit for a few months, I'd change the oil if it's been more than a couple thousand miles since the last change.

On startup, the engine should start almost as quickly as it normally does. The Allison's torque converter may drain a bit, which could delay engagement of a forward or reverse gear for a few seconds. That's more or less normal, depending on how long the truck sits. You'll probably not notice any delay after sitting for just a few days. A couple of months of sitting could cause 5-10 seconds of delay. Again, that's more or less normal.

Diesel fuel, if temperature and humidity are within reason, will remain good for up to a year or longer. I've kept diesel fuel for as long as 3 years in a sealed six-gallon fuel-rated jug without any deterioration that I could see, smell or experience by using it.

Jim

Ok thanks for the reply jim.
    1991 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, 6.2L. 125,000 miles -Sold

2007 Chevrolet Silverado LBZ - R.I.P

2001 Chevrolet Silverado LB7-- Sold

2011 GMC Sierra, LML- 39,000 miles. All stock