Thread: Fair price for a 1997 1500 Diesel Suburban 4x4?

Default Fair price for a 1997 1500 Diesel Suburban 4x4?

I went and looked at a 1997 diesel burban today. It has 174000 miles on it, it's a 4x4 and almost no rust (a small amount starting at the bottom inside of rear barn doors). It started okay, no smoke on start. Ran fine at idle, no blowby that I could tell, but the fan clutch was blowing so much it was hard to tell. He relocated a new PMD to the left front of the engine bay, right near the radiator. New PMD. New vaccum pump (green dot). Newer glow plugs. I noticed a bit of oil on the front mud guard underneath and a couple drops of oil. After reading here, I wonder if the oil cooler lines are leaking. He said he replaced both of them already, but not with braided hoses, regular hoses. He did say the AC doesn't work and he isn't sure why. The truck suburban is well taken care of inside and out and seems seldom used and the seller said as much. He is asking 7500 and the lowest he will go is 7K. I offered 6400 and he isn't budging any lower than 7K. Carfax came back pretty clean. Just routine maintainence stuff and brakes at 120K. The guy claims to be a mechanic and did all the work himself (second owner). Just wondering if this is a fair price.

It,s all up to you,.
    A fair price to one man might be a lot to another man,.
    Different parts of the country command different prices,.so much so people are willing to travel long distances to get the right deal,.
    If this truck suits your purpose,. you like the truck, you want the truck,and you are comfortable with the price,. its a fair deal.

jm2c
    nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Sounds fair to me. Truth is, there really isn't anything else on the market like a diesel Suburban. There's the Excursion, but they feel bulkier and don't handle tight quarters as well. But other than that... that's it. A local car dealer has been after me to let him sell my Burb. He says I've got a "unicorn".
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor