Thread: 6.5 Engine swap

Default 6.5 Engine swap

I finally got hold of a replacement 6.5, the "donor" truck was a road salt/snow plow and has extensive rust to prove it! The receiving truck a 2000 CK3500 crew cab is in excellent condition [for New England]
    My questions are all related to engine mounts and bell housing bolts. The receiving truck has no room at all for access to bell housing bolts, however; the donor truck a 1997 2500 has lots of room behind the engine. My plan is to pull both engine and tranny from the donor truck just for practice as there is no way I can just simply pull the blown 2000 CK3500 engine without the tranny. Any suggestions especially accessing the engine mounts?

Getting at the bellhousing bolts is a BITCH no matter what.
    Now this said, its doable.

You can rmove the rear tranny mount and drop the assembly down on the cross member, this will afford a tad more room.
    Use a long 1/2" extension/S along with a wiggler (ujoint) and the proper deep socket to get on the two top bolts.

The worst part is that the top bolts have a tud top and the fuel lines are held by a nut on the stud part.

Once you fight the lines loose, the wiggler and socket will gitterdone.
    Have a helper up top guide the socket onto the bolt.

You need to send the extension up from way back past mid point on the tranny.

With the tranny lowrd, it does help.
    If this proves to be not enough room. remove the front motor mounts (frame part) and drop the engine down on the frame. This will give even more room.

Its doable, been there done that, a few times.

****** important******
    What year is the replacement engine ??? (you mention the truck is a 97) the Bellhousing bolts on the 2000 are metric
    Anything older than 96 production will have 3/8" bolts
    Be real sure of whats up there before you get things back in the truck and try stuffing bolts back in.
    The 3/8 bolts will go into the metric holes, but not the other way around.
    The 3/8 bolts will not tighten up in the metric threads as they are too loose.
    If you need to swap bolts, the stud topped 3/8 bolts are available from GM should you want them.

Sounds like your good though.

Good luck

Missy
    Last edited by Robyn; 07-04-2012 at 10:43.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY