I'm thinking about swapping a diesel into my 80 CJ7 - the 258 straight 6 runs fine but is getting tired, so...

I know all about the bad rep of the olds diesels (most of us are used to it, owning 6.2/6.5s ), but am thinking it may be good in this application, since I mainly use it as a trail jeep and am not after high horsepower.

I know the 6.2/6.5s are more plentiful, and I'm more familiar with them, but I'm thinking the 350 wouldn't be as heavy - I found some info that list the 350 diesel to be around 600 lbs, about what my current 258 weighs. The power specs on the 350 diesel are very close to the 258, so I'm thinking I wouldn't notice that much difference in performance.

Anyone know what a 350 diesel weighs?

I'd like to retain my stock Jeep 4-speed. I know 350 diesels were never offered with a manual trans, so I'm wondering if the crank could be bored for a pilot bearing? The 260 V8 diesel was offered with a manual, so I think a flywheel for it would work on the 350.

It seems advance adapters makes an adapter for a Buick V6 to the Jeep trans - anyone know if the BOP bellhousing pattern on the olds diesels is the same as the older Buick V6s?

Course, this all depends on if I can find a decent olds diesel, but they seem to pop up from time to time.

I'm open to other engine suggestions, although I don't want to spend the $$$ for a 4bt or similar, plus I'm not wanting to add a lot of weight to the front end.

Thanks in advance.

Joe.