Hi everyone.

I have a 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier and I am considering converting it to a Duramax 6.6. I know of an engine that is available but have no prices yet, I have just been told they are expensive.

A little about my Troopy. It was a 3F Toyota 6 with a 5 speed manual. I converted it, doing all the work except the exhaust and some welding of mounts myself, to an EFI 5.7 litre Holden duel fuel (petrol and LPG) engine. I want to be able to travel around Australia and to be realistic I need a reliable diesel to do it because LPG isn't available everywhere.

My question is, and yes I realize most people here are from the USA, what type of prices should I expect to pay for a Duramax with all its add-ons (power steer pump, alternator etc) and an Allison 6 speed auto? If I go down this path do I really need a "donor" vehicles dash etc or it there a neat and tidy way to graft these new engines into old tech vehicles without alot of pain and anguish? Many people in Australia say the job is just to hard and you really need to cut alot of stuff out of a donor vehicle for it to work, is this true? I am well aware that it has been done into older GM vehicles and the job has a very professional outcome but these are all GM vehicles, mine isn't.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Michael.

P.S. If it is as hard as people suggest I'll probably just go for a P400/T700R4 combination from AM General.