Thread: Air Intake Exploded

Unhappy Air Intake Exploded

2003 Duramax 6.6 Turbo Diesel

16 yr. old grandson was nice enough to take out my air filter and clean it. I told him to take it to the air compressor and blow it out. He's a dirt bike kid. So he thought it would get really clean if he sprayed it with his air filter cleaner he uses for his dirt bike filter (which is oil bath type filter). The cleaner smells like started fluid.

I thought he was just going the blow it out and left him to complete the job.

He puts the filter back in the box and starts the engine. The hood was still up and it exploded and blew all the hoses and plastic parts into 50 pieces. It shot pieces 10 to 15 yards out. Also put 2 dents in the hood.

Found and replaced all parts except the plasic cover on top the engine that has the 6.6 Turbo Diesel logo. Any help in finding this last part??

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

Wow! Just when you think you've heard it all......

Actually, I can see this happening, and it explains the large print warnings on the filter element cleaner cans. A good learning experience (for the kid), as long as no one was hurt, I think.

The "logo", may be a dealer-only item. You may be able to find it at www.lmctruck.com . Also try www.gmpartsdirect.com (send them a message). It sounds like a really good hunting project for a certain 16 year old.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Wow, that's a new one on me too...
    1998 k2500

Default No One Hurt...

Really like this forum... very helpful already!

Grandson started engine.. walked around to air cleaner, placed cover in it (didn't bolt it down)... heard a knocking sound... ran around to turn off engine when explosion happened.... We are all greatful it didn't explode in his face... it could have been fatal or blinded him... I can buy new parts but not a new grandson.

Thanks for the search info...

Wow, I'm amazed that it backfired through the breather. I would've thought the motor would rev up until it sucked all the cleaner out of the filter. On the other hand, it's not good to use air to blow out the filter. Compressed air can damage the filaments inside the filter and cause it not to filter properly.
    '06 Chevy 2500HD LBZ CCSB 4x4

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by dunny96 View Post
    Wow, I'm amazed that it backfired through the breather. I would've thought the motor would rev up until it sucked all the cleaner out of the filter. On the other hand, it's not good to use air to blow out the filter. Compressed air can damage the filaments inside the filter and cause it not to filter properly.
    Not backfire. Intake heater, and/or ESD (plastic plumbing).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Oh, gotcha!
    '06 Chevy 2500HD LBZ CCSB 4x4