Thread: what is the EDU 1 fuse ?

Default what is the EDU 1 fuse ?

there is a 25 amp fuse between starter and fpump that is a 25 and keeps blowing, the oweners manula does not say what it is other that EDU??

Arrow

Welcome to the forums!

EDU = Electronic Distribution Unit. AKA: the fuel system driver (distributor, like on a gasser, for lack of a better term). The EDU is located on the passenger side valve cover, silver box (looks like a computer hard drive), with electrical connections, and fuel line in/out connections (cools the electronics). It's divided into 2 banks (left/right), #1 and #2.

If it's continually blowing the fuse, check the harness and connector for damage, corrosion or exposed wires. The EDU receives a low power current from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), which is amplified/relayed to drive the injector solenoids, simply stated. If the amp is bad, it can overheat, overload, and blow the fuse. This should normally cause a DTC, and the SES lamp should be on.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I believe the problem is there, I removed the wire harneses, and put back and put in a new fuse and it fired for just a second,then the fuse is blown....what now? THANKS!!!!

The EDU's seldom if ever fail, but I think I'd try replacing it and see what happens. They should be cheap from salvage as there's really no demand near as I can tell.

On edit: Which engine is this? LB7 or LLY?
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I don't know which engine it is, o4 6.6?

Arrow

Look at your VIN. The 8th digit indicates which engine series.

1 = LB7
    2 = LLY
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

it is #2

Now that changes everything. Start tracing the engine wiring harness particularly in the area of the EDU, alternator and where it is tied down. The LLY for some reason has more than it's fair share of harness issues. My 2005 had an intermittent issue due to bare wires in this harness.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

when I put a new fuse in and crank I see smoke (a little) coming from the wire harnesses going into the EDU but it quickley blows the fuse, I have stripped the shrouds back and do not see any bare wires??

Arrow

Strip back the loom and remove all the tape in the area where you saw smoke (a good distance in both directions). Replace the fuse and repeat. If you don't see where the smoke comes from, you should be able to feel the hot wire(s) if you're in quick enough. Also look for damaged, burned, discolored or hardened wire insulation.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A