Thread: Purchased 96 Suburban 2500 6.5 with no history

Default Purchased 96 Suburban 2500 6.5 with no history

While I am going through updating and fixing things on my new beast like replacing the rear drums, shoes, cylinders, backing plate, etc. due to rust issues, I am looking for an opinion on how to tell if the injectors were ever replaced? The burb has 133,xxx miles on it and I was going to pull a glow plug to inspect but I don't know if there is any way to tell if the injectors were replaced? I'd hate to re-do them if they were already done for obvious monetary reasons but I may be pulling the turbo anyway to track down an oil leak (starter got pretty wet with oil). It starts pretty good now... when I first got it, it seemed to crank a little slow sometimes so I replaced the positive battery cables because they were showing signs of corrosion - seems to crank stronger after the change.

Should I just replace the glow plugs and injectors anyway since the turbo is coming off and call it good for another 100,000? I am definitely replacing the HB as I have some chirping when starting cold - already replaced the tensioner but haven't been able to get a good look at the harmonic balancer - do I need to remove the pulley to see the rubber? Any folks in NE PA that want to get together for a Saturday or Sunday and attack this with me?
    96 Suburban 133,xxx
    05 Passat TDI 195,xxx

Hard to tell for sure.

If the rig starts easy and runs ok, I would just run it as is for the time being.

If it starts hard and or runs rough with white/blue smoke for a short while when cold, then plugs and squirts are in order.

POOR squirts will really hinder cold starts, and if the plugs are bad too it really gets tough.

Good luck

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks - I will photo the attack on the oil leak to document what is found. I have read it can be anything from the rear portion of the valve cover to oil drain line from the turbo. When I popped off the intake hose from the turbo it looked pretty clean and there was no play at all in the turbo so I am hoping I don't get in over my head when removing the turbo. Hopefully, I can save some money now and install the replacement oil cooler instead. I tracked down the prior owner's name and tried to reach out to him to see what may have been done already but haven't heard back in a couple of weeks and I don't want to "stalk" him...
    96 Suburban 133,xxx
    05 Passat TDI 195,xxx

Default Small Update...

I pulled the passenger inner fender to gain access to the glow plugs and it appears as though the original owner had the driver's side glow plugs replaced but not the passenger side. The driver's side all looked to be in good condition while the passenger side all looked scorched with some carbon build-up so I am glad I have at least replaced all glow plugs. I think I can confirm the back side of the valve cover is leaking but I found more oil/gunk build-up than expected towards the front. I didn't get a chance to replace the short rubber hose at the turbo drain but I found what looks like a vacuum line completely disconnected, I was too greased up to grab my camera phone to snap a picture but it was also caked with the oily mess... I was pressed for time with having to get out of a buddies garage and had to re-assemble things before I could fully asses where it should connect - or determine if it is just a drain (wishful thinking I'm sure). I know it's tough without a picture but are there any suggestions as to what it could be or where it could go?

Thanks,
    Bob
    96 Suburban 133,xxx
    05 Passat TDI 195,xxx