Thread: Loud pop, no power, low coolant LLY

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Loud pop, no power, low coolant LLY

So I think I blew a head gasket tonight. I was merging on the local highway (parkway-Pittsburgh) when I heard a loud pop and then loss of power. I immediately pulled to the shoulder and looked for what I thought would be a turbo hose or piping that poped off to and no sign of any leaks of fluids. I get back in the truck and drove about an eight mile to try to make it to the next exit only to see the low coolant light flash and smoke in the mirrors. I immediately pull back on the shoulder and shut it off. I'm sitting on a very good hill and the dipstick shows some over the full line plus it's water there too. So after a quick phone call to my dad to grab my Mack B-61 and some chains he's on site and were hooking up the chains for a pull back to the shop. So back we go hooked up 4 feet apart with the flashers going. We go past 2 police officers bullsiting in a parking lot without and care then pass another police officer right before we get back to the shop. I guess the couldn't see the chains and didn't think twice about the truck behind the old Mack since it has a utility body on it. BTW the truck is a 2005 GMC Sierra k3500 with 138k miles on it. I am the second owner with the first being a fleet. This is my second LLY in the past 6 years. I sold my last one before it turned 100k then i bought a k3500 silver ado with a gas job in it before purchasing this truck on Monday 10-1-2012. That right less than 5 days in my possession. I'm pretty sure I'm it's the head gaskets which I plan on replacing along with the studs. Ive worked on class 8 Mack, Cummins, Cat engines and even smaller Waukesha and allis diesels. My questions are as follows. Is there anything I need to know before I go and pull the heads off and send them to the machine shop and it is a standard head gasket replacement?The next question would be does anyone think the turbo would have been affected or harmed since the load pop and loss of power immediately?? Thank you
    Last edited by 220cummins; 10-04-2012 at 19:29. Reason: Misspelling